none
How do Analysis ToolPak and Solver Add-ins add themselves to Excel 2016 for Mac Ribbon? RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks for reading.  How do the Analysis ToolPak and Solver Add-ins add themselves to the Excel 2016 for Mac Ribbon?  I need my add-in to do the same. 

*** Please note that this question is about Excel 2016 for Mac.  No XML in the XLSX. No Windows. ***
    Monday, April 10, 2017 2:24 PM

All replies

• Get a book on Ribbon X  - you need a User Interface editor to modify the XML code of the workbook.
    Monday, April 10, 2017 2:40 PM
  • Thanks very much for your quick reply Bernie!  How does this approach play out on the Excel for Mac platform?
    Monday, April 10, 2017 2:51 PM
  • AFAIK, the customization is not dependent on platform, just that the Excel version uses the ribbon.  It should be all in the XML - my Ribbon book doesn't say because it was for 2007, so you might want to post in a Mac-Office-specific forum.
    Monday, April 10, 2017 4:00 PM
  • These were not included with Mac 2011 and users would need third party alternatives, but I see they are now with Mac 2016. So I assume you simply need to install them in the usual way via Tools/Addins, then look for the Analysis group at the end of the Data tab.
    Monday, April 10, 2017 4:04 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, Peter!  I am asking how the add-ins add themselves to the Ribbon of Excel 2016 for Mac, not how I load them into Excel. 
    Monday, April 10, 2017 5:52 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion, Bernie.  There are a lot of Excel 2016 inqueries in this forum, and there does not appear to be a Developer-Office-Mac forum, as far as I can tell. 
    Monday, April 10, 2017 5:54 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.  I have just learned that Microsoft enabled XML in the XLSX on Excel 2016 Macintosh in the 15.17 update.  So the correct answer for adding Ribbon tabs is to use the Custom UI editor on a Windows machine.  Still not sure how Analysis ToolPak and Solver are set up, but I am only working with XLSM and XLAM formats so I should be fine. 

Ron de Bruin's page has some more details. 

http://www.rondebruin.nl/mac/macribbon/ribbonmac.htm

Thanks again to those who responded!  Your time is much appreciated. 

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:14 PM
  • I misunderstood, I read most of your question literally but missed the last part about your addin.

I was just about to point you to Ron's page but see you've already found it. As he says, easier to create, add and test the xml in Windows but even in Mac all you really need is a text editor and a zip utility.

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:39 PM
  • Hi D.J. Peterson,

from your last reply , I can see that you find the solution for your issue to use Custom UI Editor.

if your issue is solved now then please try to mark your last post as an answer.

so that we can close this thread.

if you do not mark the answer then thread will remain open.

if your issue is still exist then let us know about that, we will try to suggest you further to solve the issue.

you had mentioned that," Still not sure how Analysis ToolPak and Solver are set up".

I want to inform you that "Analysis ToolPak and Solver" are not available in all the versions of excel supported by MAC.

it is available in Excel 2016 for Mac and Excel for Mac 2011 Service Pack 1 (version 14.1.0).

for other versions you need to add them by third party source.

if they are added to your version then you can Click Tools, and then click Add-Ins.

then Click the Data Analysis ToolPak or Solver option to enable it. Then, click OK

then Locate Data Analysis ToolPak or Solver on the Data tab.

Reference:

How to find and install Data Analysis ToolPak or Solver for Excel for Mac

We don't have any information, how these addins get load in Excel.

it's the internal process of these addins and only the developers of these addins can give this answer.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 8:00 AM