none
Ribbon freezes after switch between RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I use MS Access for many years for developing database applications. For more than half a year use in ms access 2013 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. (Win 10) Increasingly, however, I have the same problem: the ribbon freezes when I switch from VBA to normal window, or for example when i switch between a query design and  the qyery output. I already have all copied of the objects to a completely new database. But, whithout result. Does anyone have a suggestion how I can fix this?

Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:52 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you all for your comments!

I think I've finally found the cause of the constantly freezing the ribbon.I use for years software from a third party to define the ribbon for my applications. In Access 2010 everything worked properly ever and I never suffer the ribbon froze. This software (Ms access 2010) was installed on an additional laptop. Since I had gone over to the Dell Inspiron and used Access 2013 it went wrong. Initially you looking for the cause of the problems remain in the new laptop or a combination thereof with Ms Access 2013. This week, however, I checked all my modules. Somewhere a conflict occurred, that was my thought. And indeed, I think I've found the cause.

All my modules are equipped with the starting code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

The modules that control the ribbon and by the third party in my database have been created this code not only or Option Compare Database software. That was never noticed me before. I add these declarations to the relevant modules. Now the ribbon also remains at the design function correctly. Apparently this caused the conflict. However, it is strange that this functioned normally under MS Access 2010 and only creates problems in 2013. The problem occurs only in Design view. It creates conflicts with the normal "Microsoft" ribbon (Design view). The ribbon what the user sees the application gets, operating normally.

Again, thank you all!

Greeting,

Henk

• Marked as answer by HenkK64 Tuesday, February 9, 2016 12:41 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 12:41 PM

All replies

• Addition:not onlyfreezesthe ribbon,butthe ribbon does not operatecorrectly. When i click on a icon another option is activated then i have clicked. The ribbondoes not respondcorrectly.

After i got with file tab to backstage it runs correct for a while. Then the same problems occur.

• Edited by HenkK64 Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:04 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:03 AM
  • I have seen similar behavior when there was a table link to an extremely large excel spread sheet (500k+rows).  Not to the point of an actual freeze but definitely it slowed the response time in development mode.  Actually now that I think of it - it may have froze on one PC such that I moved it to my PC with the most RAM (8G) at the time and it would work on this more powerful PC.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 3:33 PM
  • Good Afternoon HenkK64,

This is not normal behavior. Sounds like version interference or program corruption.

If you have multiple version of Access installed go ahead and uninstall all office products and reinstall just the most recent. If you need other versions installed, use Windows 10 virtual PC's to install that software.

If you only have the 1 version of Access (or other db type Microsoft products like Outlook and Visio) then uninstall Office/Access, reboot, defrag, download all updates, reboot, reinstall Office/Access, defrag, reboot.

Let us know if that helps.

It may have to do with the PC itself as the Access program doesn't normally perform that poorly.

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:26 PM
  • >>>For more than half a year use in ms access  2013 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.  (Win 10) Increasingly, however,  I have the same problem: the ribbon freezes when I switch from VBA to normal window, or for example when i switch between a query design and  the qyery output.<<<

According to your description, could you reproduced this issue on an other machine? If not, I suggest that you could set Windows Update to automatically download and install recommended updates. Installing any important recommendation and optimal updates can often correct problems by replacing out-of-date files and fixing vulnerabilities. To install the latest Office updates, follow the steps in this article: Update Office and your computer.

Friday, February 5, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Hello David

I'm going to try this. Computer was well on automatic updating but not the option to automatically update other software. I do not have another computer with Office 2013.

The strange thing is that the problem still occurs only in MS Access 2013. All other applications (Word, Excel, etc.) seem to work normally. Right functions remain to choose. Only the ribbon so freezes, or reacts with total contracts other than those I choose. The ribbon does not respond as it should

If someone knows a solution, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Henk

Friday, February 5, 2016 1:03 PM
  • Henk

I would run the Office repair from the Control Panel> Programs to see if that helps. Reboot right after the repair.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Friday, February 5, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Is it possible there is an addin installed or a personalized Ribbon?

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

Friday, February 5, 2016 4:30 PM
  • Hello Bill,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have repaired Office 2013. Unfortunately this does not resolve the conflict.

Friday, February 5, 2016 9:10 PM
  • Hello Chris,

As far as I can see there is not installed any add-in. In the VBA-editor only the MZ tools.

Henk

Friday, February 5, 2016 9:13 PM
  • Hello Bill,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have repaired Office 2013. Unfortunately this does not resolve the conflict.

Henk - Could it be that your computer has another program running and is using all the CPU or memory? I had issues with some programs when I had iTunes and two virus scanners.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Monday, February 8, 2016 3:02 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you all for your comments!

I think I've finally found the cause of the constantly freezing the ribbon.I use for years software from a third party to define the ribbon for my applications. In Access 2010 everything worked properly ever and I never suffer the ribbon froze. This software (Ms access 2010) was installed on an additional laptop. Since I had gone over to the Dell Inspiron and used Access 2013 it went wrong. Initially you looking for the cause of the problems remain in the new laptop or a combination thereof with Ms Access 2013. This week, however, I checked all my modules. Somewhere a conflict occurred, that was my thought. And indeed, I think I've found the cause.

All my modules are equipped with the starting code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

The modules that control the ribbon and by the third party in my database have been created this code not only or Option Compare Database software. That was never noticed me before. I add these declarations to the relevant modules. Now the ribbon also remains at the design function correctly. Apparently this caused the conflict. However, it is strange that this functioned normally under MS Access 2010 and only creates problems in 2013. The problem occurs only in Design view. It creates conflicts with the normal "Microsoft" ribbon (Design view). The ribbon what the user sees the application gets, operating normally.

Again, thank you all!

Greeting,

Henk

• Marked as answer by HenkK64 Tuesday, February 9, 2016 12:41 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 12:41 PM