none
Unable to installl .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows 10 WITHOUT internet RRS feed

• Question

• I have the requirement to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows 10 where NO internet connection is available. The solutions mentioned in this article are therefor no solution for me. Furthermore I found this workaround, which also doesn't seem to work.

Using the Windows install media as suggested here is also no option for me, as I can't expect from our customer to handle this "difficult IT task" ...

So, how can I install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on a Windows 10 PC where definitely NO internet connection is available. Btw. I need it to install SQL Server 2016 ...

• Edited by Thomas ET Wednesday, March 30, 2016 9:41 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 8:58 AM

Answers

• Dear Thomas,

As far as I know, you should use different Windows OS installation media as source to install .net framework 3.5 on different machine, in case there has some potential discrepancies lead to installation failed.

BTW, if you want to install net framework on Windows 7 systems, you will need to installed SP1 before installing the .NET Framework. For all platforms, we recommend that you upgrade to the latest Windows Service Pack and install critical updates available from the Windows Update website to ensure the best compatibility and security. Please have a look at here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww(v=vs.110).aspx

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 1, 2016 6:34 AM

All replies

• Hello, I've had the same issue. Fixed by opening Command Prompt as admin and running this commands:

DISM/Online/Enable-Feature/FeatureName:NetFx35/All/LimitAccess/Source:e:\sources\sxs

e:\ - is your drive with windows DVD

-G-Nome

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:12 PM
  • thanks, but as I wrote this is no option for me. Many new PCs don't come with a DVD.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3:24 PM
  • Instead of DVD it can be thumb drive or hard drive, you just need to have a valid file in SXS folder. If you can't copy it from original installation media or iso, I can share it later on with you. I have Windows 10 x64 LTSB, I'm pretty sure that all of the editions have the same .net 3.5 cab file in SXS folder.

-G-Nome

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:45 PM
  • Dear Thomas,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Since your computer have no network and if you want to install .NET Framework 3.5, normally we recommend you run the command: Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess in an elevated command prompt, just like gnomic mentioned. But you said you have no Windows 10 DVD, you can use a USB with installation media file or copy a Windows 10 ISO image from other computer who have network and download it.

I found you want to install SQL Server 2016, and I have checked the Software Requirement for installing SQL Server 2016, and it indicates SQL Server 2016 RC1 and later require .NET Framework 4.6 for the Database Engine, Master Data Services, or Replication. SQL Server 2016 setup automatically installs .NET Framework, please refer to this document: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx, it seems like the .net framework will automatically install during the installation of SQL Server 2016, so maybe you should directly install SQL Server 2016.

If you have any other issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 5:36 AM
  • Hi Sara,

thanks for your hint to SQL Server 2016. We also were thinking about this option. Unfortunately we also need to install our product (with SQL Server) on Windows 7 which is not (officially) supported by SQL Server 2016.

Furthermore I need to support scenarios where our customers install our product and SQL Server on Win 7, 8.1 and 10. Would I need the .NET Framework package coming from (e.g.) D:\sources\sxs from exactly EVERY Windows version or could I just use the package from a Win 10 DVD and use it even on a Win 8.1 machine?

Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:06 AM
  • Dear Thomas,

As far as I know, you should use different Windows OS installation media as source to install .net framework 3.5 on different machine, in case there has some potential discrepancies lead to installation failed.

BTW, if you want to install net framework on Windows 7 systems, you will need to installed SP1 before installing the .NET Framework. For all platforms, we recommend that you upgrade to the latest Windows Service Pack and install critical updates available from the Windows Update website to ensure the best compatibility and security. Please have a look at here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww(v=vs.110).aspx

Best regards,

Sara

Friday, April 1, 2016 6:34 AM