How can I verify if MS OLEDB is installed on my machine or not? RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed MDAC tool. The installation completed successfully. I want to verify if MS OLE DB provider for oracle is installed or not. where/how to check it?
    Monday, September 13, 2010 8:33 AM

Answers

• If you are using Oracle client software version 10g, the provider is OraOLEDB10.dll; for version 9i, it is OraOLEDB.dll. The provider is installed in %ORACLE_HOME%\BIN (for example, C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Client_1\bin). If you determine that the Oracle OLEDB provider is not installed on the Distributor, install it from the Oracle client software install disc provided by Oracle. For more information, see Configuring an Oracle Publisher.

If the Oracle OLEDB provider is installed, make sure that it is registered. To register the provider DLL, execute the following command from the directory in which the DLL is installed, and then stop and restart the SQL Server instance:

1.      regsvr32 OraOLEDB10.dll or regsvr32 OraOLEDB.dll.

To verify that the Oracle publishing environment is configured properly, SQL Server tries to connect to the Oracle Publisher with the login credentials you specified during configuration. If the SQL Server Distributor cannot connect to the Oracle Publisher, one of the following error messages is shown:

·         "Unable to connect to Oracle database server '%s' using the Oracle OLEDB provider OraOLEDB.Oracle."

·         "Unable to connect to Oracle database server '%s' using the Microsoft OLEDB provider MSDAORA."

If this error message is shown, verify connectivity to the Oracle database by running SQL*PLUS directly using the same login and password specified during configuration of the Oracle Publisher. For more information, see the section "The SQL Server Distributor Cannot Connect to the Oracle Database Instance" earlier in this topic.

• Proposed as answer by Keshav Ramarao Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Keshav Ramarao Sunday, September 19, 2010 1:09 AM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Microsoft OLEDB provider for Oracle is installed when you install SQL Server.

\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB\msdaora.dll

You can download and install the Oracle client software from the following link, to install OLEDB providers created by Oracle:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html

Do you know about the following connectors for Oracle?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=D9CB21FE-32E9-4D34-A381-6F9231D84F1E&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.   

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, September 13, 2010 2:46 PM
  • If you are using Oracle client software version 10g, the provider is OraOLEDB10.dll; for version 9i, it is OraOLEDB.dll. The provider is installed in %ORACLE_HOME%\BIN (for example, C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Client_1\bin). If you determine that the Oracle OLEDB provider is not installed on the Distributor, install it from the Oracle client software install disc provided by Oracle. For more information, see Configuring an Oracle Publisher.

If the Oracle OLEDB provider is installed, make sure that it is registered. To register the provider DLL, execute the following command from the directory in which the DLL is installed, and then stop and restart the SQL Server instance:

1.      regsvr32 OraOLEDB10.dll or regsvr32 OraOLEDB.dll.

To verify that the Oracle publishing environment is configured properly, SQL Server tries to connect to the Oracle Publisher with the login credentials you specified during configuration. If the SQL Server Distributor cannot connect to the Oracle Publisher, one of the following error messages is shown:

·         "Unable to connect to Oracle database server '%s' using the Oracle OLEDB provider OraOLEDB.Oracle."

·         "Unable to connect to Oracle database server '%s' using the Microsoft OLEDB provider MSDAORA."

If this error message is shown, verify connectivity to the Oracle database by running SQL*PLUS directly using the same login and password specified during configuration of the Oracle Publisher. For more information, see the section "The SQL Server Distributor Cannot Connect to the Oracle Database Instance" earlier in this topic.

• Proposed as answer by Keshav Ramarao Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Keshav Ramarao Sunday, September 19, 2010 1:09 AM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:32 PM