none
Definition of Build Parameters RRS feed

• Question

• I am using VS2008 to build a SmartDevice native application for WEC7.

I want to fully understand the build process. Currently I want to know how the PreprocessorDefintions are expanded. The vcproj contains:-

PreprocessorDefinitions="_DEBUG;_WIN32_WCE=$(CEVER);UNDER_CE;WINCE;DEBUG;_CONSOLE;$(ARCHFAM);$(_ARCHFAM_);_UNICODE;UNICODE"

In particular, how are these defined: $(CEVER),$(ARCHFAM);$(_ARCHFAM_);

I think they come from the SDK, but not exacly sure where they are defined and how they are passed.

I also want to get a full list of all build paramters and include paths (either explicitly defined or internally ised by VS) and the order they are searched. Can I generate this list from the command line?

Ultimately, my problem is that I when I run PC-lint over my code I get the following error when I processing a file which includes "StdAfx.h" :-

#error ERROR: Only Win32 target supported!
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows CE Tools\SDKs\MY_SDK\Include\Armv4i\crtdefs.h
        56  Error 309: #error ERROR: Only Win32 target supported!

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:20 AM

All replies

• Take a look in the output folder.  Along with the exe and obj files you should find BuildLog.htm.  It includes the command line for compiling the source code.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Thanks Bruce,

The build log is a good help which I have reviewed, but I still have a couple of questions:

1) The output shows the expanded values (i.e. _WIN32_WCE=%CEVER% becomes "_WIN32_WCE=0x700"). But where is %CEVER% actually defined and how is it passed to the build?

2) The output shows the the list of include paths I have manually added to the build from within Vusual Studio. However, it does not provide information of the system search path. e.g. how can I determine the correct include path for crtdefs.h  and ensure the correct macro definitions for that file.

I have set the Options - Project and Solutions - Build and Run -  MSbuild project build output verbosity to Diagnostic

Are there any environment variables used as part of the build process? If so which ones?

Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:14 AM