Unit Testing in Visual Studio 2005 and beyond RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Our development team has been using Visual Studio 2005 and manually unit testing.  I looked up online for Unit Testing tools.  Visual Studio Team System (VSTS) was an option for Visual Studio 2005 users.  My question is this, does VSTS come with original installation of Visual Studio 2005?

Also, when we upgrade to Visual Studio 2008 or higher, what are Unit Testing options for each release of Visual Studio?

Thank you in advance for your response(s) !

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 5:36 PM

Answers

• To add to Jack's response.  Much has changed with unit testing over the last many releases.  I strongly suggest skipping VS 2008 and VS 2010, some reasons for that here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/jj635152(v=vs.110).aspx

Beginning with VS 2012 there is  support for nunit, xunit, mbunit in addition to what is usually referred to as mstest.   There are some other great additions as well such as Microsoft Fakes (stubs and shims), cloud based load testing, a new test explorer (for executing tests), easier automated build support...  The list goes on and on and I haven't even mentioned the productivity enhancements in the VS IDE itself.  I know migrating versions is a pain but if I were you I'd get all the way to VS 2015 if I could.

For all versions of visual studio there is always the option of installing visual studio extensions (from the visual studio gallery)  These are 3rd party non-MS supported tools that tend to be designed to operate as if they were a part of visual studio

Tim

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 9:07 PM
  • Hi Farahnaz Moazezi,

You know that the VS2005 was really old version, actually Microsoft didn't support it, and we also have no the VS2005 Environment to really repro this issue, so if possible, you could use the high VS version.

>>does VSTS come with original installation of Visual Studio 2005?

Maybe you could get more information about "what the VSTS is" here before we discuss this issue:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms364077(v=vs.80).aspx

As my understanding, it is the summarization of some features and functionality in the VS IDE.

>>When we upgrade to Visual Studio 2008 or higher, what are Unit Testing options for each release of Visual Studio?

As far as I know, it has the project template called "Test Project" in VS2008 or VS2010, but it has the specific test type's templates in higher versions. For example, if you use the VS2013, you could get the project template here:

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 11:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Farahnaz Moazezi,

You know that the VS2005 was really old version, actually Microsoft didn't support it, and we also have no the VS2005 Environment to really repro this issue, so if possible, you could use the high VS version.

>>does VSTS come with original installation of Visual Studio 2005?

Maybe you could get more information about "what the VSTS is" here before we discuss this issue:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms364077(v=vs.80).aspx

As my understanding, it is the summarization of some features and functionality in the VS IDE.

>>When we upgrade to Visual Studio 2008 or higher, what are Unit Testing options for each release of Visual Studio?

As far as I know, it has the project template called "Test Project" in VS2008 or VS2010, but it has the specific test type's templates in higher versions. For example, if you use the VS2013, you could get the project template here:

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 11:37 AM
  • To add to Jack's response.  Much has changed with unit testing over the last many releases.  I strongly suggest skipping VS 2008 and VS 2010, some reasons for that here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/jj635152(v=vs.110).aspx

Beginning with VS 2012 there is  support for nunit, xunit, mbunit in addition to what is usually referred to as mstest.   There are some other great additions as well such as Microsoft Fakes (stubs and shims), cloud based load testing, a new test explorer (for executing tests), easier automated build support...  The list goes on and on and I haven't even mentioned the productivity enhancements in the VS IDE itself.  I know migrating versions is a pain but if I were you I'd get all the way to VS 2015 if I could.

For all versions of visual studio there is always the option of installing visual studio extensions (from the visual studio gallery)  These are 3rd party non-MS supported tools that tend to be designed to operate as if they were a part of visual studio

Tim

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 9:07 PM