none
Error Submitting a Device Stage meta-data package for Sensor RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting an error when I try to submit my device metadata package.

Device Stage metadata cannot be submitted for your device Sensor

Luckily there is a errors explanation as well that gives me more detail.

Device Stage submissions are allowed only for the following devices:

• Portable media players
    • Digital still cameras
    • Cellular phones
    • Printers or fax machines
    • Scanners
    • Computer systems

There are over 200 device categories listed in DeviceInfo.xsd. Specifically, which one's correspond to the types that are allowed to have Device Stage submissions?

For example, I can't find portable media players here. However there are some that could be similar such as Media.Storage.Flash.

Also, there are examples available there for more devices than this. The documentation for Device Stage has the following devices including examples:

• Document Devices (Scanners, Printers, Fax Machines)
    • Keyboards and Mice
    • Mobile Broadband
    • PC (Computer Systems)
    • Portable Devices (Portable Media Players, Digital still Cameras, Cellular Phones)
    • Smart Card Devices
    • Webcam Devices

How can I get my device to work with Device Stage? I would classify it as a USB connected sensor.

What are the exact device categories that are supported in Device Stage (as listed in DeviceInfo.xsd)?

Monday, October 8, 2012 4:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The answer I got was that while it is true that you can author a package for sensors, sensors is not a supported submission category.  This means you can't submit a device stage package for sensors.

• Marked as answer by stevenatni Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by stevenatni Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Doron Holan [MSFT] Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:26 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:10 PM

All replies

• If you use the Device Metadata Authoring Wizard, you should be able to see and select categories under "Sensor".  

The Authoring Wizard is documented at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh454213(v=vs.85).aspx and is available when you install Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate and the Windows Driver Kit for Windows 8.  The Metadata Authoring Wizard supports authoring of both Windows 7 Device Stage metadata and Windows 8 Device metadata.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:18 AM
  • I may have left out a few of the details. I'm not having any trouble Authoring a device metadata package. I've created several prototypes that work great on my system with signing mode turned on (which is the mode your computer must be in to do basic tests).

I'm having trouble Submitting a device metadata package in the dashboard, which is necessary if I want to get it signed so I can do other testing without turning on signing mode. I've successfully created device metadata packages with a device category of sensor etc. And these device metadata packages have displayed at the appropriate times (Yay!). But the dashboard is throwing this error when I submit, and is not signing the packages since this error is happening.

The original questions still stand (althought slightly reworded)

How can I get my device to be accepted by Device Stage dashboard submission?

What are the exact device categories that will not error with a Device Stage dashboard submission?

Answer for the second question is here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/br230767.aspx

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:01 PM
  • I'll check on this and let you know.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:51 PM
  • Hi,

The answer I got was that while it is true that you can author a package for sensors, sensors is not a supported submission category.  This means you can't submit a device stage package for sensors.

• Marked as answer by stevenatni Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by stevenatni Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Doron Holan [MSFT] Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:26 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Hello Lisa,

Thanks for your response. I've been checking how the supported categories could meet our needs and all of them seem have drawbacks during submission. Our devices just measure/output voltages and are controlled by the PC.

1. Portable Media Players, Digital Still Cameras, Cellular Phones - These categories require the device stage to include standard tasks for browsing the files on the device. Our device does not have a browsable drive.

2. Printers, Fax Machines, Scanners, Webcams, Mobile Broadband devices - These categories require that the device stage property LaunchDeviceStageOnDeviceConnect be false. But I'm trying to give my users a really good getting started experience. It would be much better to have Device Stage autolaunch when the device is connected.

Is there any device category that does not have required tasks AND will allow for Device Stage autolaunch?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hello Steven

The device stage is based on each device category template. The device is not supported by the device stage if the device is not categorized in any of them.

I want to understand your scenario more. You want to launch a task in your application when the device is plugged in?

Does your device have specific drivers or it uses inbox driver such as MTP driver?

Thanks,

Mitsuru Saito

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:03 AM
  • Hmm, my device does not seem to easily fit into any of the supported categories I listed. It would be really great for my device to be supported by device stage submission. Please understand, my device works perfectly with device stage...I just need the submission tool to allow me to submit it.

I want to launch a utility that will give the user information about the device that was just plugged in along with a way to launch some common getting started tasks. My company already has a utility that does this, however it would be better if we used the awesomeness that is device stage. So my option is to find a way to get device stage to work, or rewrite our getting started utility.

My device has a driver that users have to install before the device will work.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Why should I be able to author a Device Stage for a device type that is not a supported submission category?

That seems very misleading.

What's the purpose of making a Device Stage I can't deploy?

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:58 AM