none
Edge disappears after november 2019 updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I'm seeing this issue with a Windows 10 vdi (build 1809)

After installing the November 2019 updates, Microsoft Edge disappears when fslogix is installed (version 2.9.7205.27375)

Running SFC /Scannow restores edge, but only until next reboot

I tried rebuilding the image, and everything is fine until fslogix profile container is installed

Has anyone seen the same?

Any suggestions as how to resolve?

/Dannie

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hi all

After installing the November 2019 updates, Microsoft Edge disappears when fslogix is installed (version 2.9.7205.27375)

I tried rebuilding the image, and everything is fine until fslogix profile container is installed

/Dannie

We did have this reported through support to our engineering group this morning and we are investigating.  Can you try to use add-appxpackage -Register {Path to affected package manifest xml} -DisableDevelopmentMode.  We did have one customer report that this resolved the issue for them.  You can get the name by using get-appxpackage on the host.  We are not proposing this as a permanent solution, just looking for some troubleshooting help.

Can you clarify on the sfc /scannow process that you are taking.  What I would like to understand is if after the reboot, when the issue returns is that on the same host, or is the next connection to a different host, and that is the cause of the return of the problem?

Also does the issue go away if you create a new profile rather than use one that existed prior to the OS upgrade?

• Edited by Brian Mann1 Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:17 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:15 PM
  • Hi Brian - and thank you for the feedback :-)

I did try to bring back Edge using add-appxpackage, with the same result as SFC / scannow.
    After the first reboot (as needed after the repair), Edge is back, but after sealing the image, (we are using Citrix PVS) Edge is gone when a user logs on to a VDI using the updated image.

I also tried just doing one more reboot of the master vdi after "repairing" Edge, and after the second reboot Edge will be gone again.

When using a new profile, Edge will actually appear after the first logon, but be gone at subsequent logons!
    But returning to a pre november update image, will restore edge.

Hope this clarifies :-)

Edit: I've been doing aditional troubleshooting today, creating a VM without Citrix VDA or PVS involved.

After installing FSlogix, Edge disappears

Doing repairs to reinstall Edge, only works for the first reboot

Doing one more reboot, and Edge is gone again

• Edited by dslund Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:21 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:17 AM
  • Hi all

/Dannie

We did have this reported through support to our engineering group this morning and we are investigating.  Can you try to use add-appxpackage -Register {Path to affected package manifest xml} -DisableDevelopmentMode.  We did have one customer report that this resolved the issue for them.  You can get the name by using get-appxpackage on the host.  We are not proposing this as a permanent solution, just looking for some troubleshooting help.

Can you clarify on the sfc /scannow process that you are taking.  What I would like to understand is if after the reboot, when the issue returns is that on the same host, or is the next connection to a different host, and that is the cause of the return of the problem?

Also does the issue go away if you create a new profile rather than use one that existed prior to the OS upgrade?

I can also add, that adding the testusers to the "FSLogix Profile Exclude List" restores Edge

Should I create a support request myself, or can you confirm that investigation is ongoing?

Br /Dannie

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:05 AM
  • Hi!

We got the exact same problem, do we need to put in a support request or is this being worked on already?

Best regards,

Ola

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:48 AM
  • Hi Ola

I have heard no updates regarding the issue. Let's hope Brian soon is able to deliver good news :-)

I tried the .48865 hotfix, but no luck there

Uninstalling KB4523205 resolves the issue, but,,,

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:29 AM
  • Hi  Brian, 

Last Update to this was over a week ago. Can you share a workaround or an estimate timeline when this will be fixed? I am trying to demonstrate fslogix to my bosses, but its a hard sell when edge keeps disappearing! :)

Friday, November 29, 2019 6:42 AM
  • Same issue here, running Windows 10 1803.
    Monday, December 2, 2019 8:16 AM

Same here, thought I had done something wrong with AppX but after troubleshooting for a day I found it to be something related to FSLogix or profile not keeping settings from Edge setup. When I clear the profile and you get new profile edge works fine until logoff and login again, then the icon is blank and Edge doesnt work anymore.

The re-register does not help. Please look at this asap as I'm in same boat as others here, proving a VDI solution for a customer, not looking good when basic apps don't work.

Thanks

Monday, December 2, 2019 4:37 PM
  • Same issue here. Running Windows 10 1803 wtih FSLogix 2.9.6964.  Uninstalling KB4525237 resolves the issue, but need a real fix.
    Monday, December 2, 2019 10:07 PM
  • Hi all

/Dannie

I can also add, that adding the testusers to the "FSLogix Profile Exclude List" restores Edge

Should I create a support request myself, or can you confirm that investigation is ongoing?

Br /Dannie

We are investigating still, this is spanning multiple teams, and so is moving a little slowly, but we are working on it.
    Monday, December 2, 2019 10:36 PM
  • Hi!

We got the exact same problem, do we need to put in a support request or is this being worked on already?

Best regards,

Ola

We are tracking it.  Thanks!
    Monday, December 2, 2019 10:37 PM
  • Hi  Brian, 

Last Update to this was over a week ago. Can you share a workaround or an estimate timeline when this will be fixed? I am trying to demonstrate fslogix to my bosses, but its a hard sell when edge keeps disappearing! :)

Previous reports claimed that this did not occur any longer on a profile that was rebuild on the new OS image.  I realize this is not ideal, but may unblock your demo.  It would also be good to have someone else confirm that behavior.
    Monday, December 2, 2019 10:39 PM

Same here, thought I had done something wrong with AppX but after troubleshooting for a day I found it to be something related to FSLogix or profile not keeping settings from Edge setup. When I clear the profile and you get new profile edge works fine until logoff and login again, then the icon is blank and Edge doesnt work anymore.

The re-register does not help. Please look at this asap as I'm in same boat as others here, proving a VDI solution for a customer, not looking good when basic apps don't work.

Thanks

So creating the new profile on the OS Image did not resolve this for you?  It only helps for the first session?  Can you confirm my understanding?
    Monday, December 2, 2019 10:42 PM
  • Hi Brian - and thank you for the feedback :-)

I did try to bring back Edge using add-appxpackage, with the same result as SFC / scannow.
    After the first reboot (as needed after the repair), Edge is back, but after sealing the image, (we are using Citrix PVS) Edge is gone when a user logs on to a VDI using the updated image.

I also tried just doing one more reboot of the master vdi after "repairing" Edge, and after the second reboot Edge will be gone again.

When using a new profile, Edge will actually appear after the first logon, but be gone at subsequent logons!
    But returning to a pre november update image, will restore edge.

Hope this clarifies :-)

Edit: I've been doing aditional troubleshooting today, creating a VM without Citrix VDA or PVS involved.

After installing FSlogix, Edge disappears

Doing repairs to reinstall Edge, only works for the first reboot

Doing one more reboot, and Edge is gone again

Thank you!
    Monday, December 2, 2019 10:50 PM
  • So creating the new profile on the OS Image did not resolve this for you?  It only helps for the first session?  Can you confirm my understanding?

Yes, confirmed only working at first session.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:17 AM
  • So creating the new profile on the OS Image did not resolve this for you?  It only helps for the first session?  Can you confirm my understanding?
    Exactly - Edge is only present at first logon
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 11:02 AM
  • We have this problem too and it's killing us because we have now fallen behind in our security commitments to get a patched VDI image out. I just found this thread.

We are Win 10 1803, also using FSLogix 2.9.7205.27375. Edge doesn't disappear for everyone, just enough people to stop us rolling it out to 800 production users.

I tried fresh user profiles just for troubleshooting (deleted their fslogix profile container), and the user gets Edge back at the first logon, and it seems to disappear again at the second logon.

Personally I have had no luck with re-adding (add-appxpackage -Register {Path to affected package manifest xml} -DisableDevelopmentMode), it just gives us an access denied error.

Will this be fixed in the December updates? Help please Microsoft! I might be able to raise a premier support case for this tomorrow.

Monday, December 9, 2019 2:20 PM
  • Hi Brian, 

if you mean was the profile initially created on the image where the problem then later occured? Yes it was. First Login is fine, everything is working. Log off, log back on again (even when trying this on the gold image itself) and it will break.

Furthermore, and I don't know how I can confirm this better, it seems as if it would break other AppX packages like Calculator and Photos. They would get moved into the  C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DeletedAllUserPackages folder. When checking their status, it reported a dependency issue, and I could never figure out how to bring them back. I reverted to snapshot, and after removing the fslogix apps, it never happened again.

I am happy to run some command if you tell where to look and report back on the results if you like - I would really like to get fslogix to work for us. THanks for getting back to me - I didn't get the notification that I set up for this so sorry for my later reply

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 8:30 PM
  • We're seeing the same thing in our environment. Edge works for fresh profiles and stops working after subsequent logins. 
    Wednesday, December 11, 2019 1:52 PM
  • I've been testing with december updates today, and so far they dont cause the same problems

But it's still early days

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 1:53 PM