none
Which version of Visual Studio 2015 is the equivalent of Visual Studio Ultimate 2013?

Question

• I'm currently running Visual Studio Ultimate 2013, which is having trouble playing back CodedUI automated test scripts using IE11.  I was hoping that upgrading to 2015 would help, but which version is the "Ultimate" alternative?

Kevin

Thursday, April 28, 2016 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

the Enterprise Edition is the equivalent of that. With Visual Studio 2015, the Premium and Ultimate Edition was dropped and the Enterprise Edition was introduced.

And if you need CodedUI Tests, then these are only available inside the Enterprise Editon. Please the the comparison chart for details:
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/compare-visual-studio-2015-products-vs.aspx

So I disagree with Kevin:

- You have to check the license of the comunity Edition carefully. If you work in a company, then you must be carfeful: If the company has over 250 employees, then you are not allowed to use it and if the company has less than 250 employees only a maximum of 5 persons are allowed to use Visual Studio Community edition. (When used to develop applications. There are also rules for educational use / training usage. So be sure to check the license agreement carefully when using the software!)

- If you want he integrated Coded UI Tests, then this is only available inside Visual Studio Enterprise edition. Of course there are other test frameworks that also work together with the community edition.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by David Roller Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by KWD_AA Friday, April 29, 2016 8:40 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:48 PM

All replies

• >I'm currently running Visual Studio Ultimate 2013, which is having trouble playing back CodedUI automated test scripts using IE11.  I was hoping that upgrading to 2015 would help, but which version is the "Ultimate" alternative?

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/compare-visual-studio-2015-products-vs

Presumably the "Enterprise" edition, but you may find the Community
    version does everything you need.

Dave

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:48 PM
  • Hi,

the Enterprise Edition is the equivalent of that. With Visual Studio 2015, the Premium and Ultimate Edition was dropped and the Enterprise Edition was introduced.

And if you need CodedUI Tests, then these are only available inside the Enterprise Editon. Please the the comparison chart for details:
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/compare-visual-studio-2015-products-vs.aspx

So I disagree with Kevin:

- You have to check the license of the comunity Edition carefully. If you work in a company, then you must be carfeful: If the company has over 250 employees, then you are not allowed to use it and if the company has less than 250 employees only a maximum of 5 persons are allowed to use Visual Studio Community edition. (When used to develop applications. There are also rules for educational use / training usage. So be sure to check the license agreement carefully when using the software!)

- If you want he integrated Coded UI Tests, then this is only available inside Visual Studio Enterprise edition. Of course there are other test frameworks that also work together with the community edition.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Proposed as answer by David Roller Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by KWD_AA Friday, April 29, 2016 8:40 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:48 PM