none
.wip file extension

Question

• Good evening, I am trying to repair an issue with an application that was made many users ago. When I try to open it gives and error that it can't read a .wip extension. I have tried it on many different versions of visual studio to try to get it to work. Does anyone have any idea on what steps I can do to open it? The program is an executable that installs a program.

dmg

Thursday, January 14, 2016 5:32 AM

Answers

• Hi dmg,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please tell me what’s your version of your Visual Studio? And how did you create the .wip file?

As far as I know. There are two ways to open the executable file in VS.

1. Right click your .wip file and open with Visual Studio
    2. Open your VS and create a new solution and add the .wip project to the solution.

If you can’t open the .wip file. May be something wrong with this. Wip file.

I suggest you could change antoher .wip file then try to open this file.

If you still can’t open the .wip file. I think the Visual Studio you used is no supported to open the .wip file.

I also did a research and found a document about Creating and Opening Installer Projects, but I found the document is point to Visual Studio 6.0. May be it is only supported in VS 6.0.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa266430%28v=vs.60%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

So for you problem. One idea is that you may use the Visual Studio 6.0 to open the .wip file. 

But Visual Studio is an old version and we don’t support now.

As it doesn't seem to be available any more in new versions of Visual Studio,  May be you could try the  Inno Setup, WiX, or ClickOnce which  integrated into new versions of Visual Studio.

Friday, January 15, 2016 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi dmg,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please tell me what’s your version of your Visual Studio? And how did you create the .wip file?

As far as I know. There are two ways to open the executable file in VS.

1. Right click your .wip file and open with Visual Studio
    2. Open your VS and create a new solution and add the .wip project to the solution.

If you can’t open the .wip file. May be something wrong with this. Wip file.

I suggest you could change antoher .wip file then try to open this file.

If you still can’t open the .wip file. I think the Visual Studio you used is no supported to open the .wip file.

I also did a research and found a document about Creating and Opening Installer Projects, but I found the document is point to Visual Studio 6.0. May be it is only supported in VS 6.0.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa266430%28v=vs.60%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

So for you problem. One idea is that you may use the Visual Studio 6.0 to open the .wip file. 

But Visual Studio is an old version and we don’t support now.

As it doesn't seem to be available any more in new versions of Visual Studio,  May be you could try the  Inno Setup, WiX, or ClickOnce which  integrated into new versions of Visual Studio.

Friday, January 15, 2016 9:58 AM
  • I had to install visual studio installer in order to open it. I did have Visual Studio 6 installed initially but it would not open like that. I appreciate your suggestions.

dmg

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:02 PM
  • Hi dmg,

As far as I know. Only Visual Studio 6 can open this .wip file extension. But it is an such old version, I have no environment to reproduce your issue.

I suggest you could use ClickOnce which  integrated into new versions of Visual Studio instead it.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:44 AM