Tip- Backup your backup RRS feed

• Question

• You should keep at least one additional copy of the backup that this update process takes from your Windows Phone, and keep it in a secure location. This backup is required to be able to upgrade to new versions of the OS. Furthermore, because you will be returning to this backup at a later time, you will lose all data generated as part of this trial upgrade (including, but not limited to, pictures, videos, app/game data, etc.). Because you will lose any new data added to your phone during this Beta trail, we recommend that you do not store new data to your Windows Phone, unless you also have a back-up of the data elsewhere (e.g., you are syncing your pictures/videos to your PC).

Also, because the backup process is one of the more lengthy portions of this process, you may also want to consider using this as an opportunity to move pictures and videos off of your phone, and onto a more permanent location – making the backup process now (and the restore process later) much faster.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:52 PM

All replies

• So just out of interest what will MS dor for all the people who loose their backups?  Will there be a generic image provided that they can back up to?
    This will happen so there is no point in pretending it wont.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Honestly, I think you might be hard pressed to get support if you don't do a backup for your backup. You were explicitly warned three sperate times during the acceptance of the developer agrement for the mango beta update and then warned again during the actual procedure. Not to mention that PDF instructions explicitly call out the need for the backup and the steps to do so were directly integrated into the instructions.

Having said all that and you still don't have a backup of your backup you might get lucky and Microsoft might just replace your phone anyway. Though you might be without a phone for 4 weeks in the process.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 2:26 AM

• At least at this time, Microsoft is unable to provide a generic image to restore to.

It is reasonable to expect that if someone loses there backup, the chances are greater than zero that Microsoft support will be unable to help them move off of build 7661.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Where is the back-up stored? (W7 64bit)
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:51 PM
  • C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update\{Device GUID}\
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 4:17 AM
  • brilliant thanks
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Exactly how would I make a backup of my backup?

Sorry if im asking a noob question as i am new to developing on the wp7 os 

Also off-topic i made two backups on two different comps so is it possible to just restore on either pc or is there some sort of id no# that is given to each backup making this impossible 

Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:29 AM
  • Is there a difference between doing the backup on a partnered machine as opposed to guest?
    I wanted to make a backup of the backup. Now it's gone.
    I noticed every time I unplug my phone from the machine I did the backup on (as quest) that the guid folder gets deleted after the Zune client is closed. Haven't tried on a partnered computer.
    My phone is running fine right now, but I need to figure out what to do later to get my machine back to a supported ROM once Mango is released.
    My friend has the exact phone as I do and has his backup. Can I simply put his backup image under the folder with my phones guid to revert back to pre-Mango image if I need to?

Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:56 PM
  • I have run the backup programme and its not in that destination any idea where else it could be?
    Friday, July 22, 2011 8:47 PM
  • C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update\{Device GUID}\
    This might be a weird question... but... the folder at that location is only 4kb. Am I missing something else?
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 4:15 AM
  • Its not in that location thats the problem.

what is the name of the file or another location it could be so i can search it
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 11:15 AM
  • The AppData Directory is hidden, use the instructions here to find it http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpmango/thread/39cf7657-efc5-41a3-882c-b34164d3d5dc#2f7ff253-a38a-4d95-8234-9f8c912f6ef6
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Is there a difference between doing the backup on a partnered machine as opposed to guest?
    I noticed every time I unplug my phone from the machine I did the backup on (as quest) that the guid folder gets deleted after the Zune client is closed. Haven't tried on a partnered computer.
    My phone is running fine right now, but I need to figure out what to do later to get my machine back to a supported ROM once Mango is released.
    My friend has the exact phone as I do and has his backup. Can I simply put his backup image under the folder with my phones guid to revert back to pre-Mango image if I need to?

the same thing happened to me... by the time i got to the backup folder zune already removed the files.

why would zune delete the backup files?
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:46 PM
  • backing up the backup does no good if Zune won't restore it. I keep getting a 801812E0 error when restoring.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 3:25 AM

the same thing happened to me... by the time i got to the backup folder zune already removed the files.

Hi,
    i had the same problem, when i went to the folder to backup the image, it was empty. just the guid named folder with an XML file inside :(
    Friday, July 29, 2011 8:51 AM

Hi,
    i had the same problem, when i went to the folder to backup the image, it was empty. just the guid named folder with an XML file inside :(
    Same issue... guessing this may be because I updated as a guest device!
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:00 AM
  • I've seem to have lost my backup, am I screwed for moving to RTM? Can I not go into a Sprint store at the least and have them whipe and reset the phone back to retail?
    Monday, August 29, 2011 7:01 PM
  • I used W7 under Bootcamp on a MaBook Air to update my Wphone to mango. All worked smoothly until it came time to backup. Then I could not find the backup file anywhere. I used search and checked all directories that I could access, but the one listed does not show up. Is it possible that the backup is stored somewhere else on a MAC running Bootcamp?

So far, Mango is running fine except I can't connect my bluetooth headset (does not bring up the keyboard in response to the prompt to enter the pairing code).

Also, it does not appear that microphones within wired headsets work (I've tried two different ones and I can hear but no one can hear me.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:17 PM