IMFGetService::GetService(F09992F7-9FBA-4C4A-A37F-8C47B4E1DFE7)

Question

• I'm writing a media player for W8; this plays back the video stream OK, but when I try to add an audio stream, my app gets shut down, as far as I can tell this happens immediately after a call to GetService() with a guidService value F09992F7-9FBA-4C4A-A37F-8C47B4E1DFE7.

I haven't been able to find out what this is. The only other reference to it on the web is someone asking the same question - although it turned out his problem was due to something else, which I've checked for and it doesn't seem to be the case for me.

Can anyone tell me what this GUID is?

Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:59 AM

Answers

• We have located the mystery GUID, in 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\Mfidl.idl

/// <summary>
    /// GUID passed to IMFGetService::GetService to retrieve an IMFMediaSource interface.
    /// </summary>
    cpp_quote( "// {f09992f7-9fba-4c4a-a37f-8c47b4e1dfe7}" )
    cpp_quote( "EXTERN_GUID( MF_MEDIASOURCE_SERVICE, 0xf09992f7, 0x9fba, 0x4c4a, 0xa3, 0x7f, 0x8c, 0x47, 0xb4, 0xe1, 0xdf, 0xe7 );" )

I added a check for this to my MediaSource's GetService() function, and had QueryInterface return a pointer to my MediaSource object, cast to an IMFMediaSource*, however my app still gets shut down... although it looks as though a new mystery GUID CE6BE8E7-D757-435F-9DE9-BE3EF330B805 may be responsible now, so I will perform the same searches on that and see if I get any further.

Thanks for your help. I'll close this topic and come back if necessary.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:19 PM

All replies

• I did a search in my registry but it didn't turn up - can you search your registry to see if it's in there?
    I also checked our bug database and knowledgebase, but nothing showed up.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:52 PM
  • Thank you, I should have thought of that myself .... but no, it's drawn a blank.
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:37 PM
  • We have located the mystery GUID, in 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\Mfidl.idl

/// <summary>
    /// GUID passed to IMFGetService::GetService to retrieve an IMFMediaSource interface.
    /// </summary>
    cpp_quote( "// {f09992f7-9fba-4c4a-a37f-8c47b4e1dfe7}" )
    cpp_quote( "EXTERN_GUID( MF_MEDIASOURCE_SERVICE, 0xf09992f7, 0x9fba, 0x4c4a, 0xa3, 0x7f, 0x8c, 0x47, 0xb4, 0xe1, 0xdf, 0xe7 );" )

I added a check for this to my MediaSource's GetService() function, and had QueryInterface return a pointer to my MediaSource object, cast to an IMFMediaSource*, however my app still gets shut down... although it looks as though a new mystery GUID CE6BE8E7-D757-435F-9DE9-BE3EF330B805 may be responsible now, so I will perform the same searches on that and see if I get any further.

Thanks for your help. I'll close this topic and come back if necessary.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:19 PM
  • Glad to hear you found it. :-) Good luck with the next one.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, March 21, 2014 12:03 PM