none
what is the difference between kinect for windows and v2 sensor? RRS feed

• Question

• what is the difference between kinect for windows and v2 sensor?

as i am beginner to this technology, I want to develop applications in 1.8v. Is it forward compatibility with 2.0v(means v2 sensor) please solve this doubt i am very much confused to get started.

Saturday, July 5, 2014 5:09 AM

All replies

• Kinect v2 doesn't use the same IR/Depth sensing technology which has better robustness and quality. Color stream is now HD resolution.

Comparison from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/Faq.aspx.

Feature Benefits
    Depth sensing With higher depth fidelity and a significantly improved noise floor, the v2 sensor gives you improved 3D visualization, improved ability to see smaller objects and all objects more clearly, and improves the stability of skeletal tracking.
    1080p HD video The color camera captures full, beautiful 1080p video that can be displayed in the same resolution as the viewing screen, allowing for a broad range of powerful scenarios. In addition to improving video communications and video analytics applications, this provides a great input on which to build high-quality, augmented reality scenarios, digital signage, and more.
    Wider/expanded field of view The expanded field of view enables a larger area of a scene to be captured by the camera. As a result, users can be closer to the camera and still in view, and the camera is effective over a larger total area. Although in some cases, an increased field of view can reduce the sharpness of the image, the increased fidelity of the Kinect for Windows v2 sensor’s camera produces increased fidelity of the images along with the larger field of view.
    Improved skeletal tracking The enhanced fidelity of the depth camera, combined with improvements in the software, have led to a number of key improvements in skeletal tracking. In addition to now tracking as many as six complete skeletons (compared to two with the original sensor), and tracking 25 joints per person (as compared to 20 with the original sensor), the tracked positions are more anatomically correct and stable—and the range of tracking is broader. This enables and simplifies many scenarios, including more stable avateering, more accurate body position evaluation, crisper interactions, and more bystander involvement in interactive scenarios.
    New active infrared (IR) capabilities In addition to allowing the Kinect for Windows v2 sensor to see in the dark, the new infrared (IR) capabilities produce a lighting-independent view, which makes machine learning or computer-vision–based tasks much easier—because you don’t have to account for or model lighting-based variation. And, you can now use IR and color at the same time. We look forward to the many new and innovative uses that the community will develop to use this fundamentally new capability.

Regarding SDK question, there is not forward nor backward compatibility.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/27049af4-e1b5-4ae2-8481-099abae2d347/what-is-the-difference-between-kinect-for-windows-18v-and-v2?forum=kinectsdk

Vincent Guigui Innovative Technologies Expert at OCTO Technology Kinect For Windows MVP award

Monday, July 7, 2014 7:15 PM
  • thanks Vincent

i have one more question the device is enhanced  from 1.8 to v2 is that case then can i know the resource where i can learn the 1.8 Kinect hardware details with SDK for it to develop on 1.8, and v2 kinect hardware details with SDK for that v2 is there any books will explain in details on that particular SDK with that sensor

because now i will start with 1.8 sdk for kinect for windows sensor as you suggested or i came to know soon microsoft will release v2 sdk also i dont know exactly so can i develop with that v2 and that sdk 

and i have doubt regarding licence 1.8 is for commercial right ?

thanks in advance sir

Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:34 AM