Source code for the sample apps that shpped on the Windows Developer Preview

Question

• Does anyone know if (or where) the source code is available for the sample apps that shipped on the developer preview of Windows, i.e. memories, paintplay etc 
    Ian Oakes www.trillian.com.au
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:05 PM

Answers

• Dylan - not *all* the apps were done by interns.  The XAML apps, for instance, were done by "my team" meaning the XAML team.

Ian - I'm not sure of current plans to release any of the app source code at this time, but I've forwarded this thread to the overall team who helped manage the intern teams.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer
    • Marked as answer by Ian Oakes Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:48 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:32 AM
  • Hi Ian,

I ran the intern app building program in Windows this summer and Tim forwarded this thread to me.

One of the things that we haven't done with the intern app samples is run them through the same rigorous review process that we did with the SDK samples. We ran out of time before //build/ to make this happen which is why we didn't release the sources. Right now we're working hard on making a great Beta release, so I'm doubtful that we'll have the cycles to revisit this. I'll keep you posted if anything changes though!

Thanks,
    -John

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hi Cory,

Thank you for your question.  While we don't have a current plan to publish the Memories application, we do have the complete Build conference application as a source code sample here.

Sincerely,

Dan

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:42 PM

All replies

• Ian, you can find some sample applications at http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps.

Thanks,

Navit Saxena

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Yes, but what about the sample apps that shipped with the Windows Developer Preview, is there any chance of obtaining the source code for these?
    • Edited by Ian Oakes Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:22 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Tried that myself, I'm afraight there isn't.
    0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:53 PM
  • Hi Ian - I assume you mean things like the Weather, Stocks, etc. apps -- those that are built-in to the image?  If so, most of those aren't being released with source at this time.  I can only speak for my team and the apps we contributed of course, but it is something we are considering, however need to do due diligence to make sure that what we would provide follows our best practice code guidance.  Those apps are primarily experience demonstrations at this time.

As noted, you should see some popping in to the samples gallery.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:56 PM
  • Hi Ian - I assume you mean things like the Weather, Stocks, etc. apps -- those that are built-in to the image?  If so, most of those aren't being released with source at this time.  I can only speak for my team and the apps we contributed of course, but it is something we are considering, however need to do due diligence to make sure that what we would provide follows our best practice code guidance.  Those apps are primarily experience demonstrations at this time.

As noted, you should see some popping in to the samples gallery.

Hello Tim, when you say "your team" does this mean you are one of the Microsoft Interns?
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:59 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I was mostly interested in the apps written by the interns that are on the image, such as memories, socialite etc. Whilst the SDK samples are great and provide insights into specific API's it would be nice to see a 'completed' app.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:44 AM
  • Dylan - not *all* the apps were done by interns.  The XAML apps, for instance, were done by "my team" meaning the XAML team.

Ian - I'm not sure of current plans to release any of the app source code at this time, but I've forwarded this thread to the overall team who helped manage the intern teams.

• Marked as answer by Ian Oakes Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:48 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:32 AM
  • Okay thanks
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi Ian,

I ran the intern app building program in Windows this summer and Tim forwarded this thread to me.

One of the things that we haven't done with the intern app samples is run them through the same rigorous review process that we did with the SDK samples. We ran out of time before //build/ to make this happen which is why we didn't release the sources. Right now we're working hard on making a great Beta release, so I'm doubtful that we'll have the cycles to revisit this. I'll keep you posted if anything changes though!

Thanks,
    -John

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:46 PM
  • I understand schedule pressure (what developer doesn't) ... but it would be great to have source code for some complete, end-to-end sample applications ... whether it is the intern apps ... or whether it is something else. You know, a reference app like Family.Show, PhotoSuru, etc.

It's my experience that one of the ways most developers learn a platform ... is by looking at code that works, and tweaking it to see what happens.

The SDK samples, while awesome, don't really provide that complete picture experience.

What about the Memories app? I know that one wasn't done by the interns ... and it seems like a fairly polished, complete app ...

• Edited by Cory Plotts Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Hi Cory,

Thank you for your question.  While we don't have a current plan to publish the Memories application, we do have the complete Build conference application as a source code sample here.

Sincerely,

Dan

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Thanks Dan! I was unaware that the source code for the Build conference app had been released.

My only disappointment here is that it is an HTML5 app.

What would be great (and what I think makes sense for Microsoft) is to have source code (for full end-to-end sample apps) for all the different 'flavors' of Metro style apps ... that is: C#/XAML, VB/XAML (maybe could even be the same as the C# one), C++/XAML, and maybe even a full fledged DirectX game sample.

Just a thought ...

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:33 PM
  • Along these lines.. The Windows Weather App Preview has an interesting horizontal scroll capability that I would find useful, if only I could figure it what control or how to set it up. The Checkbook HD app has the same scroll ability. Similar to a PivotItem in Windows Phone.

What control is the Weather app using? Was this done in XAML or HTML?

Friday, August 24, 2012 3:52 PM