VS 2013/ VS 2010 compatability RRS feed

• Question

• As per the title, I want to download VS 2013 Express just to see the UI differences.  I currently have VS 2010 Premium so the question is "can I have both on the same workstation" and "if true are there any watchouts when attempting that"?

TIA

Lloyd Sheen

Saturday, February 1, 2014 10:25 PM

Answers

• As far as I'm aware, and based on experience having multiple versions of Visual Studio installed on a single machine, this should be ok. That said, be careful if you are going to open any of your VS 2010 projects to not allow it to upgrade the project or you may not be able to reopen it. VS 2013 can open 2010 projects and keep them in 2010 compatible if it doesn't upgrade the project.

- Brady My posts are kept as simple as possible for easier understanding. In many cases you can probably optimize or spruce up what I present. Have fun coding!

Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm afraid that it is not the correct forum about this issue, since this forum is to discuss WPF.

So I have moved this thread to Visual Studio forum for better response.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Franklin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Sunday, February 2, 2014 3:02 PM
  • As far as I'm aware, and based on experience having multiple versions of Visual Studio installed on a single machine, this should be ok. That said, be careful if you are going to open any of your VS 2010 projects to not allow it to upgrade the project or you may not be able to reopen it. VS 2013 can open 2010 projects and keep them in 2010 compatible if it doesn't upgrade the project.

- Brady My posts are kept as simple as possible for easier understanding. In many cases you can probably optimize or spruce up what I present. Have fun coding!

Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:04 PM