Read Excel having merge cells without installing office on server RRS feed

• Question

• User-970534434 posted

Hi,
    I have a site hosted on a server. The site require a new functionality of excel importing.
    This excel contains merge cells which can be read only from ADODB objects( correct me ,if this is not the case)
    When I am using ADODB objects it requires office to be installed on server.
    I don't want to go for the license version,

So do we have any free edition(not trial one) of MSOFFice ?

or do I have any alternate solution to read excel(having merge cells in it) which will work on a server having no office installed?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:16 AM

Answers

• User1829879277 posted

I am not able to find any other solution.

You can parse this comma separated data and extract the values you want. For this, you need to compare the Excel file and the CSV generated for it and study the positions of the data.

Using Split() function you can convert this comma separated string into an Array.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:11 AM

All replies

• User1829879277 posted

I don't know how much it will help you but just wanted to suggest one work arround.

If you are using SQl Server and importing an Excel is a one time or once in a while activity then you can use SQL Server's Import functionality to import data from Excel sheet.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:47 AM
  • User1829879277 posted

Just found this post, may it will be helpful to you.

http://forums.asp.net/t/1719856.aspx/1

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:49 AM
  • User-970534434 posted

Hi SUm8,

Thanks for your reply.But it's not one time process, this will be a fuctionality which user will use  frequentlym so can not go for SQL import :(

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:00 AM
  • User1829879277 posted

Then you are left with only one option i.e. third option of Convert Excel to CSV and Use File Stream to Read as mentioned in the post for which link is provide in my previous post.

You can instruct users to convert Excel into CSV format file and upload on the site.

MS Excel provides the functionality of saving the spread sheet as CSV file. For this select Save As and from the file format options available in the Save As dialog box, select the CSV file type.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:42 AM
  • User-970534434 posted

Sumit,

but my data will have ','(comma) as so I don't think CSV will be a option I can go for.

Any other solution?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:55 AM
  • User1829879277 posted

I am not able to find any other solution.

You can parse this comma separated data and extract the values you want. For this, you need to compare the Excel file and the CSV generated for it and study the positions of the data.

Using Split() function you can convert this comma separated string into an Array.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:11 AM