Windows Defender detection rate of viruses

Question

• I was looking at the following graph  that shows the detection rate for various antivirus and I see Microsoft scored bad. The fact is I wan't to know if I'm safe using the Windows Defender as an Antivirus where I believe it would have the same deflection as Microsoft Security Essentials? Also "WHY" did Microsoft score so bad? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:27 AM

All replies

• hi there,

can you share the source, id' love to read a full article on what tests were run.

as far as i am concerned, i do use MSE on all laptops at home without any alerts or detection bell ringing when i scan them with Norton at work...so i guess it gives the same protection :), but it is free, which suites my needs at home:)

please do share the source as i am curious to get more info on those test.

best regards,

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:27 AM
  • Please post back the source and also share that Microsoft Anti-Malware engine that is in Microsoft Security Essentials won protection awards from reputable Anti-Malware testers:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Shared/AwardsAndCertifications.aspx

Millions of people are using Microsoft Security Essentials and those PC are being protected well.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:08 PM
  • Thank you for the link, it is from the website that sell Anti-Virus product and they would post a record that is benefit for them. Microsoft Anti-Malware Technology is award winning technology and many people accross the world are using it and it keeps improving.

I suggest you try it yourself and judge about it, you will see that it will protect you well.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Thank you for the link, it is from the website that sell Anti-Virus product and they would post a record that is benefit for them. Microsoft Anti-Malware Technology is award winning technology and many people accross the world are using it and it keeps improving.

I suggest you try it yourself and judge about it, you will see that it will protect you well.

To start you that like I posted is where I got the artical from and if you would have looked you would have seen that the testers are really from http://malwareresearchgroup.com/ and not Emsisoft there for they didn't have screw around with the results and shift things around. Just to add to the suggestion you gave me. I downloaded a winrar file from hackerforums.net containing many many malware and stuff. I ran every single one on a vm ware win 8 and the windows defender blocked and stopped 30% and Emsisoft scanner picked up on a lot of bad stuff after . Long story short is Win def sucks right now. I know emsisoft is a good as they say they are because I've been using this program 8 years a go. It's a good idea to add an antivirus in win 8 to protected against somethings but if a hacker is going to dezine a virus he is going to make sure that it is not detected by an antivirus and if win def is the defalt antivirus well it will be getting blind sited. It would be nice to have sand box protection that allows known trusted files to run but sandboxs unknown files and blocks known bad files. More or less I think it's a really good idea to add an antivirus but I've been reading shit now about nuclear plants bening hacked and stuff and I think that Microsoft should for get about tablet use and more about security. If I'm caught in a nuclear metdown I won't be giving a damn about a tablet.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:56 PM
  • The sample that you download might contain false-positive but there is a solution for that, you could submit all sample of Malware that won't detect with Windows Defender in Windows 8 to:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Submission/Submit.aspx

And they will analyze and if they detect as Malware will address by update, also make sure that state that you are running Windows 8 Developer Preview.

Anti-Virus software are keep improving everyday and Microsoft Anti-Malware won award from well reputable Security Testing companies and millions of users are using it around the world .

If you have undetect sample submit them all in above website (but you might partition them since there is size limitation in submission).

Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:14 AM
  • NOTE - When I tried the win 8 def on the vm ware I did it with out any internet connection, and I just though about it but I never ran windows 8 update. Would that alter the detection of the windows 8 defender where I did not update it but only used what the win 8 32 install files contained?

The winrar files is just a mass pack of random threads. I can send the files but I'm not sure which one were and were not picked up by win defender. Far as the copy of windows 8, I used the 32 bit files downloaded strait from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516. I screen shot the activation and desktop. I used the same install files for the windows 8 in the screen shot but I installed it a second time on vm ware running on windows 7.

• Edited by FallenHeroz Monday, November 21, 2011 1:23 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 1:18 AM
  • There are Definition updates for Windows Defender. The first definition was version 1.115.740, the one installed today, 11/20/2011 was definition 1.115.2257.

There are also 14 KB articles from Windows Updates that should be installed on Windows Developer Priview.
    You might not need all 14 updates but you should install and currently known issues that have been fixed.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
    Monday, November 21, 2011 2:45 AM
  • Does windows 8 defender give the option to scan a files manually from the selection menu offered by right click?  
    Monday, November 21, 2011 2:46 PM
  • I can't upload the virus files to the link you provided because chrome and IE crash when I try to upload. I did shoot a quick video that is worth a watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfiBiZ3jQ1c&feature
    Monday, November 21, 2011 3:13 PM
  • In Windows Defender if you open it , you will see custom scan and it is what you could do to do custom scan. For upload the file , if IE crash make sure to report it and also try to put Malware in smaller files and send them as different zip files. The actua Malware should be present in order to be analyze. Update for Windows Defender are important since they contains latest signature that remove Malware.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 3:26 PM
  • There is over 4 000 malware files. I'm willing to send the IE crash report along with the malware files (All at once), but not uploading 4000 different virus files.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 3:50 PM