Which data access component to use (Telerik Data Access vs PLINQO) RRS feed

• Question

• User565110030 posted

I need to choose between "Codesmith using PLINQO templates for Linq to SQL" or using "Telerik DataAccess ORM" for a new project's SQL Server database.

We're using Telerik ASP.NET components for most of the front-end, but I've never used their DataAccess yet. 

I've used PLINQO L2S and NetTiers with Codesmith in the past, and I like how easy it is. Will working with Telerik's data access be as easy in terms of "very little code" to manage database entities and relationships? Also, will it perform better since we're using Telerik front-end and work with non-telerik components?

Thanks,

Gus

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:26 PM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

Codesmith using PLINQO templates for Linq to SQL

Seriously? Linq to SQL is a legacy technology. I don't know why you aren't considering Entity Framework. You'll find a lot more community support for that over any third party ORM.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:55 PM
  • User565110030 posted

You're probably right, even if PLINQO generated code does offer a lot of nice and cool features based on L2S, using a legacy underlying tech might not be the best choice.

So the question becomes (and I'll probably create a new thread), what performs better and is easier to use for DL: EF or Telerik Data Access? Assuming the project relies heavily on Telerik Components.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 3:05 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

I've never used Telerik's Data Access component so I can't answer your question. What I can say is that I have seen zero questions asked about it here. That tells me that either it is dead easy to use (and therefore has hardly any features) or that no one is using it.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 3:24 PM
  • User565110030 posted

Well, I tested both of them. Definitively coding with the DAL that PLINQO provides is far easier that Telerik Data Access. The Telerik Data Access had trouble understanding my database where Many to Many relationships where involved, PLINQO did that great. 

Also, the code that gets generated by PLINQO already places files for customized code apart from the Generated Files. Telerik only created the generated files you should not touch afterwards. It just felt more intuitive.

So, even if these 2 are not based on the latest MSFT technology I just wanted to give my perceptive to my own question after trying both out.

Cheers 

Monday, March 2, 2015 8:26 PM
  • User584025948 posted

I have previously used Telerik DataAccess. Now I am looking for its compatibility with ASP.NET vnext.

@slusercr: please share your experience

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 3:18 AM