none
App compatiblity with Win 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm a beginner in using C# and I use Framework 3.5 to create GUI Applications.

I would like to know if the GUI tool created on Framework 3.5 in Windows 7 OS will also work on Windows 10 OS?

What factor contributes to understand this compatibility of application when switching between OS?

Looking forward for help.

Thank you!

Monday, October 2, 2017 3:15 PM

All replies

• Windows 10 doesn't come with 3.5 installed by default, you must go into program and Features, turn windows features on and check the box for 3.5.

Monday, October 2, 2017 4:27 PM
  • If you want to execute something that is already built for use with a previous version of .Net then that version needs to be installed in the system you are using the program in. For that, it does not matter what version of .Net is installed in VS; VS might not be installed in the system.

If however you need to modify the project or even just re-build it then Mel_W's response applies, you will need to install the relevant version of .Net. If might work however to modify the project to use a later version of .Net.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, October 2, 2017 6:43 PM
  • Hi SindhuGopal,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, have you install .net framework or Visual Studio in your Win10 machine?

I make a .net framework 3.5 console application of Win7 for test.

My test machine is win10 without installing .net framework or Visual Studio.

And I test on another test machine with .net framework 4.7 and Visual Studio 2017. It works well.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:52 AM
  • In general, any newer version of the .NET Framework will be fine - it's 99.99% backward compatible if you're targeting 3.5.

So, unlike what some have said, your application will work on Windows 10 without any separate .NET install - as long as the user has *at least* version 3.5 of the framework.

You also may want to have your application *prefer* the newest version of the runtime, and only use the only version 2 CLR (the runtime corresponding to version 3.5 of the framework) if a newer one doesn't exist. In this case, you would just need an app.config file to be distributed with your application with the following contents:

<configuration>
      <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
        <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>
        <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
      </startup>
    </configuration>

Convert between VB, C#, C++, & Java (http://www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com)
    Instant C# - VB to C# Converter
    Instant VB - C# to VB Converter

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Windows 10 doesn't come with 3.5 installed by default, you must go into program and Features, turn windows features on and check the box for 3.5.

Completely unnecessary.

Convert between VB, C#, C++, & Java (http://www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com)
    Instant C# - VB to C# Converter
    Instant VB - C# to VB Converter

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:25 PM