SharePoint 2010 Organization Browser and photo sizes RRS feed

• Question

• We are importing a URL for our photos in SP2010 similar to what we did for 2007. So far this is working great with one exception: Organization Browser. When looking at the pictures for peers and managers/direct reports they look fine. But when you look at the picture for a person it is not resizing the photo and only showing the top left corner. I would much rather have the photos on a disk drive and not in SP...
    Friday, March 4, 2011 8:19 PM

Answers

• There are certainly a lot more details to take into consideration, but thanks for sharing this post. You must configure the synchronization of users with an ad that contains the users that their properties are Administrator
    Monday, March 7, 2011 7:12 AM

All replies

• Did you run the powershell command

Update-SPProfilePhotoStore -MySiteHostLocation <URL of the My Site Host>

After you upgraded? If you didn't try that. It should resize them for you.

Hope that helps,

SharePointNinja

Friday, March 4, 2011 9:31 PM
  • There are certainly a lot more details to take into consideration, but thanks for sharing this post. You must configure the synchronization of users with an ad that contains the users that their properties are Administrator
    Monday, March 7, 2011 7:12 AM
  • No I didn't and am a bit hesitant to do so since that only addresses users currently in AD/SP. It doesn't address new hires or people who get new photos taken. Since we are not going to allow users to upload their own photos and instead use photos from their badge I have to find a solution that will work going forward.

I saw this post and thought maybe I could do something with the 4 steps at the end. Has anyone tried this?

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Hello,

Did you figure this out? We have the exact same situation.

An external web erpository for employee photos consumed by various applications, not all MS.

• A photo policy that must use official badge photo

Is there some property we can set such that communities will not crop the photoas if it were a thumb, or at least resize it?

Thanks,

Doug

Friday, August 23, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Yes, but you aren't going to like it. We wrote a script that ran nightly that would take each photo, resize it to the three sizes SP wants, and then import using PowerShell. I no longer have the code in front of me but it wasn't too difficult. 
    Friday, August 23, 2013 5:57 PM
  • Your right I don't like it. :) But thanks.

So there is no way for SP to access an external repository and have is size right? Forgive me I'm no longer on the technical side. As far as import you have to pump the 3 sizes into the SP Profile? Thanks

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:02 PM
  • >So there is no way for SP to access an external repository and have is size right?

Not that we could find and we had a Microsoft consultant confirm.

>As far as import you have to pump the 3 sizes into the SP Profile? 

Correct. It requires the photos be stored in the SP database on the user's profile.

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:09 PM
  • Great. Thanks for your help!
    Friday, August 23, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Igoolsby is mostly right but you can upload photos of any size* and SharePoint can re-size them for you.

I've used this script to upload the photos before, you can probably tweak it to use your repository: http://get-spscripts.com/2010/12/upload-multiple-user-profile.html

*As long as they are larger than or equal to the largest size image then it will create all 3 copies for you, if the image you upload is smaller then it won't try to up-scale it. You might be able to create your own sized images and upload them individually but I haven't tried that.

Friday, August 23, 2013 10:27 PM