Print Azure SQL Database Structure RRS feed

• Question

• I have a need to printout the Structure of my SQL Azure Database including a graphical relationship between tables.  With SQL Server, I just needed to go into the database diagram, copy and then paste it into Powerpoint (or some equivalent).  Seems like a pretty basic, yet highly desirable thing to do.  How do I do this with SQL Azure?  Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi OliverTCOS,

According to your description, you want to get the structure and graphical relationship of SQL Azure database. In SQL Azure database, you can check the structure of database via SQL Azure Management Portal or SQL Server Management Studio(SSMS).

Login in SQL Azure Management Portal, choose design option, and click the table, in columns page, it will show the table structure as follows.

In SSMS, you click the columns of table, it also shows the table structure.

If you want to get the graphical relationship of SQL Azure database, there is no database diagrams options in SQL Azure database.  I recommend you deploy your Azure database on on-premises database, then create the new diagrams on on-premises database, then it will show the graphical relationship of SQL Azure database as follows.

Regards,

Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:51 AM
  • The key in your above statement is "deploy you Azure database on on-premises database".  It wasn't hard to go from on-premises to Azure but how do I now go the other way?
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:50 PM
  • The "Deer in the headlights" look I'm getting must mean that there is no easy way to port the database from Azure to my server.  Nothing like creating a script or backup in the "old" system?
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 6:43 PM
  • So the answer to my question is documented very well by either one of these two external links, depending on whether you like video or text better:

http://www.jasonstrate.com/2013/04/restoring-azure-sql-database-to-a-local-server/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO5iPZsEm94

One thing I noticed is that the database diagram did not get generated.  Originally I had this diagram in the server, then ported it to Azure where the diagram was lost at that point.  Anyway, cost me a lot of time to find the right links--would have been nice to get a quicker answer.

• Marked as answer by OliverTCOS Friday, September 12, 2014 7:27 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 7:26 PM