SQL Azure Data Sync tables missing RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to set up a SQL Data Sync between an on premise SQL database and a SQL Azure database. I've set up my Sync Agent, client agent and sync group but when I go into Sync Rules and select my on premise database, not all of the tables in my on premise database show up. Are there rules surrounding what types of tables are available to be synced? Originally I had created a new table after I had already set up the client agent. I thought maybe the table wasn't showing up as an option in the sync rules because the client agent table selection was static but I recreated the client agent after adding the new table and the table still did not appear. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Monday, April 8, 2013 5:37 PM

Answers

• it will not refresh automatically and you have to click on Refresh Schema to retrieve the table definitions again.

as a good practice, when defining the sync group, avoid trying to get the schema from an on-premise database as it's slow. simply script the table you want to sync, create the empty tables from Azure (preferably the hub) and retrieve the schema from an azure database.

not only is it faster, you're also able to maintain an exact schema as the client. when Data Sync creates table on your behalf, that's not a full-fidelity copy of the original database's schema.  

• Marked as answer by Iric Wen Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:07 AM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:39 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I'm adding primary keys to the tables I added to see if the following thread will work: "SQL Sync portal doesn't see any tables or schemas"

Monday, April 8, 2013 5:53 PM
  • I added a primary key to my new table and it still did not show up in the sync rules table listing. 
    Monday, April 8, 2013 6:57 PM
  • does any message pop up when you click on Refresh Schema in the Sync Rules tab?
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:44 AM
    Answerer
  • No message pops up when I click on refresh schema but it does seem to just spin when refreshing. The longest I've let the Refresh Schema run is for about 40 minutes. I deleted the sync agent and group and recreated them. The new tables I had added were then seen in the Sync Rules listing. Could the table listing be static from when you create the connection between the hub and reference db? Or maybe the Refresh Schema is not working for some reason.
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:50 PM
  • it will not refresh automatically and you have to click on Refresh Schema to retrieve the table definitions again.

as a good practice, when defining the sync group, avoid trying to get the schema from an on-premise database as it's slow. simply script the table you want to sync, create the empty tables from Azure (preferably the hub) and retrieve the schema from an azure database.

not only is it faster, you're also able to maintain an exact schema as the client. when Data Sync creates table on your behalf, that's not a full-fidelity copy of the original database's schema.  

• Marked as answer by Iric Wen Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:07 AM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:39 PM
    Answerer