Question about redistribution of stdole.dll RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm developing a Visual Studio VSIX extension that references Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.12.0.dll. This assembly refereces (indirectly) stdole.dll
    When I generate my VSIX package, the dependency stdole.dll is automatically included in the package.

I'm not sure if I can distribute stdole.dll:

So please, someone could help to answer these questions?

• Am I allowed to distribute stdole.dll?
    • In the case I'm not allowed, as it is referenced by Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.12.0.dll, it's safe removing it from the VSIX package installation file?

Friday, March 13, 2020 8:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

STDOLE.DLL is a part of the OS, and should not be redistributed with your extension.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Monday, March 16, 2020 3:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Daniel Peñalba,

Sorry for delay in reply.

>>Am I allowed to distribute stdole.dll?

From the extension module in the release of visual studio 2017 and 2019, I'm afraid not.

>>In the case I'm not allowed, as it is referenced by Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.12.0.dll, it's safe removing it from the VSIX package installation file?

To avoid throwing unexpected errors, we don't recommend you do that.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, March 16, 2020 3:33 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

STDOLE.DLL is a part of the OS, and should not be redistributed with your extension.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Monday, March 16, 2020 3:40 AM