127.0.0.1 Not Resolving RRS feed

• Question

• User-774935158 posted

I'm running Visual Studio 2008 and occasionally when I try to debug my web application IE will open up and I'll see a message in the lower left that says "Attempting to connect to 127.0.0.1..." but nothing every happens. It just sits there and does nothing. Sometimes this will happen just once every 5 times I try to debug. Sometimes it will happen 4 out of 5 times I try to debug. Eventually if I try enough times I get the message "Web site found waiting for reply" message so I know it worked.

I'm not sure if it has to do with my installation or what by it is incredibly annoying to have end my debugging session and the restart that frequently just to get my web application to come up. I'm read a lot of things about how people can not get "localhost" to work, only 127.0.0.1. But my problem seems to be the exact opposite.

I have looked in my hosts file and I have the following line:

127.0.0.1       localhost

I can't find any other information on my problem or what even to try. But I'd really like to get this corrected as I'm loosing a lot of dev time having to start and restart my debugging so frequently

Saturday, September 26, 2009 4:32 PM

All replies

• User-774935158 posted

None of those seemed to help.

Here's some more info:

I'm running on XP.

I'm not using IIS, I'm using the built in web server in Visual Studio 2008.

It does not happen everytime. Once I debug enoug it seems to work itself out.

As I mentioned before I do have the appropriate line in my HOSTS: 127.0.0.1       localhost

Also, this is occurring on a fresh install of windows xp, visual studio and .NET frameworks.

Saturday, September 26, 2009 6:38 PM
  • User-1853252149 posted

I have looked in my hosts file...

The hosts file resolves a name to an IP.  You already are resolving the IP, it's not an issue.

Jeff

Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:58 PM
  • User-774935158 posted

The hosts file may not be an issue, but as it stands I'm still not getting my web application to come up when I debug in VS2008 everytime. Like I said, more often than not I have to stop and restart the debugger 3-5 times in order to get the site to come up. I only have this issue on one machine.

Monday, September 28, 2009 3:06 PM