SQL Server 2012 using load balancer RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use a load balancer device with two independent SQL server server. how the configuration can be done. IS it possible to use hardware load balancer device so the load could be diverted  to independent servers.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hello Sayed,

We can use load balancer for Web Server, but not for SQL Server. How should a write access work with a load balancer? Now we write particulare data to one Server and later new data to an other Server?

The next nearly similar solution is PDW = Parallel Data Warehouse.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:42 AM
  • We can use load balancer for Web Server, but not for SQL Server. How should a write access work with a load balancer? Now we write particulare data to one Server and later new data to an other Server?

I wouldn't recommend it but couldn't Transactional Merge replication be used to achieve this?

A safer approach would be to use AlwaysOn AGs to offload read requests to the replicas. This could also be done with log shipping (doesn't require Enterprise Edition) but this would require some changes to the application using your databases.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:18 AM
  • Hi Sayed,

I’m writing to follow up with you on this post. Was the problem resolved after performing our action plan steps?  If it was resolved,  please help to close this thread.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 11:08 AM