none
SOLVED. Kinect SDK 1.0 or 1.5: feed in the sample apps freezes after 10 to 20 seconds. (E_NUI_NOTGENUINE) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all,

Using the Kinect sdk 1.0 or 1.5, the Kinect feed in the sample apps freezes after 10 to 20 seconds. I get the E_NUI_NOTGENUINE error code through the callback set with NuiSetDeviceStatusCallback. 

Things to note...

1. All license are legit on my machine.  No other Kinect drivers are installed.

2. I use an XBOX kinect camera.

3. Tried camera plugged in all usb ports without keyboard or mouse on same controller.

4. Using the same Kinect with the SDK works on two different desktops and generates the NOTGENUINE error on two others.

5. Without closing the running application, I connect Kinect Studio and get both depth and color streams.

6. Sdk 1.0 Beta and its sample apps works.

Do you have any ideas? Thx,

Olivier

Monday, July 9, 2012 6:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Olivier,

I'll need some more details to proceed.  For all 4 PCs can you provide:

1. General PC specifications (CPU type, number of cores, RAM)
    2. OS version
    3. USB controller make/model
    4. Driver filenames, versions, and dates for the USB controllers
    5. Open Device Manager, (Right Click My Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager (on the left)
      1. View -> Device By Connection
      2. Record all devices attached to the USB controller for the Kinect Device.

Is there any way you can try a different Kinect as well?  At this point I'd need a lot more technical information to troubleshoot the issue since it's none of the obvious problems.

Thanks,

-- Jon

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Olivier,

I've seen this happen for certain USB 3.0 controllers.  Can you provide the USB controller information?  Specifically, manufacturer, PCI Vendor and Device ID, and the driver file names and versions?

Thanks!

-- Jon

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

On all tested PCs (the two PCs where the SDKs work and the two PCs where the SDKs do not work) there is no USB 3.0 controller. 

Thx!

Olivier

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Hi Olivier,

It sounds like you are saying the two PCs with the SDK installed work and the two PCs that only have the runtime installed don't work.  Is this correct?

If so, that is by design.  The Kinect for Windows runtime is intended for Kinect for Windows devices only.  The SDK supports both Xbox and Kinect for Windows devices to make it easier for developers.  Per the license, Xbox devices may only be used for development purposes and Kinect for Windows devices must be used for deployments.

I hope this helps,

-- Jon

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Right now the 4 PCs have the 1.5 SDK installed.

For all of them, we tried with both the 1.0 and 1.5 SDK. 

As I said before, it works only on 2 of the 4 PCs.

Thx for the insight!

Olivier

Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Hi Olivier,

I'll need some more details to proceed.  For all 4 PCs can you provide:

1. General PC specifications (CPU type, number of cores, RAM)
    2. OS version
    3. USB controller make/model
    4. Driver filenames, versions, and dates for the USB controllers
    5. Open Device Manager, (Right Click My Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager (on the left)
      1. View -> Device By Connection
      2. Record all devices attached to the USB controller for the Kinect Device.

Is there any way you can try a different Kinect as well?  At this point I'd need a lot more technical information to troubleshoot the issue since it's none of the obvious problems.

Thanks,

-- Jon

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

It is quite complicated here to get all the info you requested. Also, we moved to the PrimeSense/OpenNi toolchain for the time being. Maybe our dev path will demand to solve this issue later on. I'll let you know on due time.

Thx for your help and concern,

Olivier
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Hi to all,

Finally we solved the problem this morning. It was on our side.

Our company is managing the USB peripherals access on every employee workstation. The IT service forgot to unlock 1 (Audio Array) of the 4 peripherals needed for the Kinect to work properly with the 1.0 or 1.5 SDK. 

Some employees had their port access configured properly explaining why it was working on some computer.

Our team would like to specially thank Jonathan Ward for his time and concern trying to solve our problem.

Sincerely,

Olivier 

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Glad you are up and running!
    Friday, July 27, 2012 5:03 AM
  • Glad you are up and running!
    Friday, July 27, 2012 5:04 AM