ODBC Communication link failure RRS feed

• Question

• This message is in a log file generated by an application on a local server that is connecting to a remote server by way of an ODBC connection.

"[08S01][0][[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Communication link failure]"

There are no error messages at the switch, NIC card or event log on the local server.

SQL 2000 resides only on the remote server.

Is the link failure local? Is it between the application and ODBC locally?
    I've been thinking it was between the local and remote server and is network related.

Thx,
    Don

Friday, December 5, 2008 5:20 PM

All replies

• Don,

The info you provided is very limited, can you follow the link to troubleshoot it and let us know what's going on?

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3269474&SiteID=1

Thanks.

Friday, December 5, 2008 9:34 PM
  • Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

The link failure is intermittent. There is a successful connection for days at a time before the connection is dropped.

Thx,
    Don

Friday, December 5, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Don,

Below is the investigation some one did. I think you can get some info. Note that this link failure is typically casued by network issue.

I happened to see the application log in the Event Viewer...and lo and behold!

I saw Automatic Updates were sometimes starting and stopping the SQL Server(Instance) Services. When Automatic Updates were disabled the errors reduced drastically.

Another reason was that the network card was constantly connecting and disconnecting. We replace the network cards and the error is as good as gone.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:59 AM
    Answerer