How to update a multi-instance active/passive SQL 2008 R2 cluster? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

let me provide you a short overview on my system setup:

I have a 2 node active passive SQL 2008 R2 failovercluster running on a Windows 2008 R2 cluster. Something that is special with this system is that this system has 2 clustered SQL instances:

• default instance
    • named instance

I found this very excellent article for patching a SQL 2008 failover cluster and I understand that I can reduce downtime with patching the passive node, failing the cluster from active to passive (patched) and then patch the unpatched node.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mdegre/archive/2010/01/16/apply-a-sql-server-2008-service-pack-or-hotfix-to-a-failover-cluster-instance.aspx?us

Is there something that I need to take care of if I have 2 instances running? Does each instance need to be patched separately?

Thanks for input.

Sven

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:07 AM

Answers

• Hello,

On the “Select Features” page of the service pack setup, you will find all existing instances “checked” by default. The service pack will be applied to all instances. If you want to apply it to one instance at a time, uncheck one of the instances on that setup page, but remember that shared components will be updated when you apply the service pack to the first instance.

If you have any issues after applying the service pack, you can uninstall it using Control Panel.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Edited by Alberto MorilloMVP Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Monday, December 26, 2011 3:24 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:28 PM