none
Why doesn't the 64 bit install of Adapter PAck 2.0 work on Windows Server 2008 64 bit? RRS feed

• Question

• Sounds like a bizarre question but when I try installing the x64 MSI of the Adapter Pack on Windows Server 2008 it does not work.

When I install the x86 MSI it does!

Surely this was tested - I hope I am a "special" case here. And yes I am an admin on the box, and I tried running it from explorer and both the system32 and SysWOW64 command prompts using msiexec as well to no avail. And I did all this more than twice with respect to uninstalling and reinstalling.

I did not try and update the machine.config file to get it to work, maybe this does the job but until I see something official in regards to doing it I'm not going to "hack" it.

And on a side note using the default WiX icons for an installer package that requires a license from Microsoft is pretty poor form in my opinion as well - how hard is to add an icon to a Wix installer?!?!??!

Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please see the first comment below the blog-

"Biztalk Administration Console is actully a snapin for MMC which is a 32-bit process.

So,the steps mentioned for Visual Studio 2005 also applies to Biztalk Administration Console.

Please note that there is a Seperate process called BTSNTSvc.exe for hosting the adapter-runtime(On 64-bit machine, 32-bit biztalk process is BTSNTSvc.exe and the 64-bit process is BTSNTSvc64.exe).

So, if you just want to host the service on the 64-bit production machine(BTSNTSvc64.exe will pick up 64-bit adapter dlls), then the 32-bit dlls are  not required, but if you want to access the Biztalk Administration Console and configure the adapter from the same machine then, you need to install the 32- bit version of the adapter as well."

Monday, September 7, 2009 6:41 AM

All replies

• Do you get an error you could mention?

Of course WOW64 enables the x86 pack to run so it is not really a surprise. There are a couple other well-known 32-bit apps (Visual Studio) that have x86 installers.

Thanks,
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:04 AM
  • I'm aware that WOW64 allows the x86 Adapters to run, I would have thought both x86 and x64 would both work in exactly the same manner as installed.

My point is that the 64 bit install of the Adapter Pack does not work as expected when install on Server 2008 64 bit and it gives no errors at all. The only ones you get when you try and use it through VS.NET is the already documented "there are no adapters installed on machine" error. The solution which seems to be to reinstall (which did not work) or modify the machine.config file.

I did not try logging it with MSIEXEC (maybe I should?) to find the error.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 1:01 AM

• You need 32-bit version of the adapter, if you want to consume it through visual studio.

Following blog might help:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/adapters/archive/2007/11/14/32-and-64-bit-versions-of-the-biztalk-adapter-pack.aspx

-Rohit
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 7:47 AM
  • ^^^

True mate but here is the other catch.

BizTalk won't see them either. When I installed the x64 Adapters the Production boxes did not list the new Adapters when I tried to create a new Adapter.

When I installed the x86 ones it did....
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 10:35 PM
  • Hi,

Please see the first comment below the blog-

"Biztalk Administration Console is actully a snapin for MMC which is a 32-bit process.

So,the steps mentioned for Visual Studio 2005 also applies to Biztalk Administration Console.

Please note that there is a Seperate process called BTSNTSvc.exe for hosting the adapter-runtime(On 64-bit machine, 32-bit biztalk process is BTSNTSvc.exe and the 64-bit process is BTSNTSvc64.exe).

So, if you just want to host the service on the 64-bit production machine(BTSNTSvc64.exe will pick up 64-bit adapter dlls), then the 32-bit dlls are  not required, but if you want to access the Biztalk Administration Console and configure the adapter from the same machine then, you need to install the 32- bit version of the adapter as well."

Monday, September 7, 2009 6:41 AM
  • ^^^

Cool that could work - is it okay then to install both on the same machine?

Monday, September 7, 2009 11:45 AM
  • Yes, it is OK to install both on the same machine. Note that if 64 bit adapter required a secific LOB library, then for the 32 bit adapter, you'll also need to install the 32 bit version of the same.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 4:42 PM