none
Very odd assembly CLR version issue with Win8. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm seeing a failure of an install for a product of ours in Windows 8 build 8400.

After some digging it appears that two of three assemblies built for .Net 4 do not get installed into the GAC.

The setup vendor is equally puzzled as no other customers have reported this.

This is a clean install of Win 8 too.

Now, when I manually use GACUTIL on the Win8 box to try and install these assemblies I get:

"Failure adding assembly to the cache: This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded."

This confusing me because there is no concept in .Net (to my knowledge) of the runtime version used to build and assembly, only the version targeted by an assmebly so this message appears unclear to me.

Using a refelctor tool, I can see the assembly manifests say that the targeted CLR version is v4.0.30319.

I'm pretty good with .Net internals but have little experience of this kind of error or the subtleties of CLR runtime versions etc.

What is perplexing is that the setup (which fails) does seem to get one of these assemblies into the GAC, yet if I try to add that one manually with GACUTIL I get the same error about versions, the installer does install numerous other assemblies that are for .Net 3.5 without issue.

Is this a bug in this preview build of Win8 perhaps?

Cap'n

PS: The same setup.exe works fine on Vista and Windows 7.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 1:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Captain,

Thank you for posting on this forum.

Did you have install .net 4.0 framework on WIN8?

And what version is the Gacutil you used?

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

I did not install .Net 4 - my understanding is that .Net 4.5 is a repalcement and has same strong name version number (I think).

I did "enable" .Net 3.5 since this is necessary for some of the other assemblies we install.

The version (and file version) of gacutil.exe as seen by looking at file's properties is: 3.5.30729 - the util was copied from another Win 7 box that has .Net 4 and VS 2010 installed.

Thx

Cap'n

UPDATE - I Installed VS 2012 beta onto the Win 8 VM and then found the most recent version of GACUTIL, when I tried this I was able to manually install these assemblies into the Win 8 machine's GAC.

Thx for mentioning this version thing !

Cap'n

Friday, June 29, 2012 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Captain,

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 29, 2012 10:57 AM
  • Hi Captain,

Best regards,

Mike Feng

I did not install .Net 4 - my understanding is that .Net 4.5 is a repalcement and has same strong name version number (I think).

I did "enable" .Net 3.5 since this is necessary for some of the other assemblies we install.

The version (and file version) of gacutil.exe as seen by looking at file's properties is: 3.5.30729 - the util was copied from another Win 7 box that has .Net 4 and VS 2010 installed.

Thx

Cap'n

UPDATE - I Installed VS 2012 beta onto the Win 8 VM and then found the most recent version of GACUTIL, when I tried this I was able to manually install these assemblies into the Win 8 machine's GAC.

Thx for mentioning this version thing !

Cap'n

Friday, June 29, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Hi Captain,

I am glad to see your issue is gone. And thank you for sharing your solution here.

Best regards,

Mike Feng

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:36 AM