SQL DB Mirroring with Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

May I know whether SQL 2005, 2008 and 2008 R2 version support DB Mirroring with Cluster?

My scenario is simple, kindly correct me if I am wrong.

SQL Cluster Active: SQL 1  Passive: SQL 2
    SQL Mirroring Active: sqlcluster   Pasive: SQL 3

1. Primary Site (City A)   
    SQL Server cluster (SQL 1 and SQL 2), cluster name 'sqlcluster'
    The cluster 'sqlcluster' will have a mirror with SQL 3 in City B.

2. DR Site (City B)
    Single SQL Server (SQL 3)
    Mirroring with City A SQL cluster  'sqlcluster'   

Monday, July 16, 2012 2:10 AM

Answers

• This is supported in 2005/2008/2008 R2, see the following which states...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191309.aspx

"You can establish a mirroring session in which one partner resides on the failover clustered instance of a cluster and the other partner resides on a separate, unclustered computer, however." (Or you can establish a mirroring session between two clustered instances). Of course you need to make sure you get the operating mode correct as the article above details and test it out thoroughly.

Thanks

/Neil Moorthy - Senior SQL Server DBA/Developer (MCITP (2005/2008), MCAD, ITILv3, OCA 11g) Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem

• Proposed as answer by Uri DimantMVP Monday, July 16, 2012 4:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by goodhehe Monday, July 16, 2012 9:00 AM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 2:31 AM

All replies

• This is supported in 2005/2008/2008 R2, see the following which states...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191309.aspx

"You can establish a mirroring session in which one partner resides on the failover clustered instance of a cluster and the other partner resides on a separate, unclustered computer, however." (Or you can establish a mirroring session between two clustered instances). Of course you need to make sure you get the operating mode correct as the article above details and test it out thoroughly.

Thanks

/Neil Moorthy - Senior SQL Server DBA/Developer (MCITP (2005/2008), MCAD, ITILv3, OCA 11g) Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem

• Proposed as answer by Uri DimantMVP Monday, July 16, 2012 4:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by goodhehe Monday, July 16, 2012 9:00 AM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 2:31 AM
  • To add to moorts reply - when mirroring to a secondary site (in your case DR site) you need to be aware of the latency and the mirroring configuration you decide to use.  If you are mirroring in High safety mode the latency could cause performance issues on the primary server.  Asynchronous DB mirroring would be a safer option in this design.
    Monday, July 16, 2012 2:46 AM