Output File Folder in PDA RRS feed

• Question

• In VS 2008 Project Properties under Device I can see:
    Output File Folder=%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\myapp

What is this %CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES% and where can I see and change its value?
    I want to be sure about this output folder. Because while deploying I can see like this:
    Copying files from C:\WM6\bin\Debug to \Program Files.....

Thanks
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:54 AM

Answers

• It does allow you to change the path. Please do as follows:

1. Open the properties page, click the "Devices" tab;
    2. In click the "..." button at the right side of the Output File folder textbox.
    3. The the "Output File Path" dialog pops up.
    4. Select the top level folder from the first dropdown list; and then type the subfolder in the next textbox. Click on "OK", and the new path will be generated.
    Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    • Marked as answer by syedripon Monday, October 19, 2009 5:23 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This folder %CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\myapp   represents device's or emulator's Program Files folder. So you can check you deployed application folder in device program files.

Please let me know if my understanding is wrong.

Regards,
    Malleswar

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Thanks. when I open the Properties for my project, I see the Output File Folder as %CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\myapp.  While deploying, all files+ the executable project start getting copied from bin directory(on my PC) to the Output folder on the PDA.
    Is this is how it work in deploy? Thanks. 
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Generally yes. But you can see not all files are getting copied.

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 8:42 AM
  • Thanks. Is there anyway, I can change the path of the device Output File Folder %CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%. If I dont want it to be the default one, how can I change it's value. In my VS 2003, the output file folder was set to \SD\SDData\ for my device. But in VS 2008, now its %CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\myapp. Does it take its value from the register?
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:44 AM
  • CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES is a predefined value you cannot change. Still you can change the output folder of a project by editing it in the properties page.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:23 AM
  • In project properties page, I tried to change the value of the %CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES% in the Output File Folder. But I could not. It did not allow me to do so. So I want to know if in device we always get the files in the %CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%/myapp Or we can change it. If we can change then how? I tried but could not. Thanks. 
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:39 AM
  • It does allow you to change the path. Please do as follows:

1. Open the properties page, click the "Devices" tab;
    2. In click the "..." button at the right side of the Output File folder textbox.
    3. The the "Output File Path" dialog pops up.
    4. Select the top level folder from the first dropdown list; and then type the subfolder in the next textbox. Click on "OK", and the new path will be generated.
    • Marked as answer by syedripon Monday, October 19, 2009 5:23 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 7:19 AM
  • ...if I may be so bold, as to offer MY two cents worth (for clarity)--in this "OUTPUT FILE PATH" dialog, select the "Root Folder" entry, and enter the desired output file path.  This will prevent your output path from being created as a SUBDIRECTORY of %CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%!!!!!!!!
    Monday, November 12, 2012 9:00 PM