none
Missing Source Data Type (object) in Visual Studio 2010 RC Data Source Configuration Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed the RC version of Visual Studio 2010.  I was attempting to add an xsd object to an existing rdlc.  I open the rdlc and do the conversion to RDLC 2008 format when prompted.  What I then want to do is add a datatable from an xsd file I've created.  Something I've done many times in VS 2008.  What happens is when the Data Source Configuration Wizard opens, it opens right to "Choose Your Data Connection"  I can not seem to find a way to get to "Choose a Data Source Type" where I know I can select object.  Did I somehow screw up the installation by choosing web development insted of C# or is there something else I need to do so I can use objects in my rdlc reports?
    Thanks
    Bob
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:56 PM

Answers

• GradpaBob, do you have the XSD file under the root folder or under a child folder? Try placing the XSD file under the root folder and see if it now comes up in the available dataset box in Dataset Properties.
    Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    • Marked as answer by GrandpaBob Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:51 AM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Bob,

Thanks for using MSDN forum.

Do you want to add data source to the rdlc report? Please correct me if I am wrong.

After opening RDLC file in VS 2010, please:

1. Click on menu Data / Add New Data Source
    2. Select Object in the list
    3. Select appropriate dataset in your project

Thanks.

Hongye Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    See what's happening in MSDN forum? Follow us at Twitter.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Hi Bob,

Is this issue resolved? Thanks.

Hongye Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    See what's happening in MSDN forum? Follow us at Twitter.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 4:49 AM
  • Unfortunately no.
    Under Data when I have the rdlc open, the options are Schema Compare, Data Compare, Transact-SQL Editor and Schema View.  No where can I find the "Add New Data Source".  I also looked up Report where it was in VS 2008.  Is it possible I somehow have it configured incorrectly?  One other item, is this is an existing web site and I'm not quite ready to convert it to .NET 4.0 - don't know if that has any effect, but thought I would mention it.
    Hongye, I appreciate you helping me with this.
    Bob
    Monday, March 1, 2010 5:21 AM
  • GrandpaBob,

In VS2010, the RDLC design interface now uses a Report Data pane, where you can add data tables from your XSD objects as datasets in the RDLC.

To get to the Report Data pane, in the View menu, click Report Data. Or, type Ctrl+Alt+D.

To add a new dataset, click New in the Report Data pane, then select Dataset. Then, in the Dataset Properties dialog box, you should be able to find your data source in the Data source list box. Once you select the one you want, you can select the the data table you want in the Available datasets box.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Believe it or not, there is no Report Data under the view menu.  Once bizarre behavior I'm seeing is if I close VS 2010.  Restart it and click new project then I don't see Report Data under View, but I do see Add Data Source under Data.  However, as soon as I click it and attempt to add a data source and close the dialog box, add data source disappears from the data menu.  I tried doing a repair/reinstall to no avail.  I'm running this on Windows 7 64bit.
    Again thanks for any help.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:22 AM
  • You'll need the RDLC file opened in Report Designer in order to see the Report Data option in the View menu. Did you try this? It should be on the very bottom of the menu.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:37 PM
  • If I open the Report1.rdlc there is nothing on View menu.  However, on the left where the toolbox is, the Report Data does show up.  The problem then is if I click on New I have "Dataset". Clicking that brings up Choose you data connection.  It will not bring up select a datasource so I can select "object" and thus attach to my .xsd definition
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:03 PM
  • For info on how to use objects with the 2010 report viewer, you can try the following walkthrough. Not sure if previously you had a WinForms application, but the UI is a little different between Win and Web when you add data sources.

However, if you simply add your .XSD data source to your project, the Report Designer should automatically discover the data source and the data tables it contains. In my previous reply, I was assuming that the .XSD item is already part of your project and you're able to find your data source as an item in the Data sources box in Dataset Properties.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Hi,
    I added the XSD to the project and still no luck.  Whenever I attempt to add a dataset, the wizard STARTS at the connection string screen.  THe datasource screen where I can pick an object was one screen earlier in VS 2008.  I will do the walkthrough on Friday, but today and tomorrow I'm out of town on business and not enough time to work through the tutorial.  I'll report back as soon as I try that.  As for WinForms vs Web, all of the reports and involved applications have all been web-sites.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 1:00 AM
  • This was incorrectly marked as answered.  I was wondering if anyone had any further thoughts on this.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:01 PM
  • I am having the same exact problem as the original poster.  Any time I go into the Report Data pane and try to add a new dataset, the Data Source Configuration Wizard automatically pops up.  I already created my data source (XSD) prior to creating the new report, so I cancel out of the Data Source Configuration Wizard.  I would then expect the the XSD I previously created to be an available dataset in the Dataset Properties screen, but it is not.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:16 PM
  • GradpaBob, do you have the XSD file under the root folder or under a child folder? Try placing the XSD file under the root folder and see if it now comes up in the available dataset box in Dataset Properties.
    • Marked as answer by GrandpaBob Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:51 AM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Ok, that worked!  They showed as DataSources.  So what gives?  I'm used to using a child folder to store items like that and not in the root.  That worked in VS2008 and earlier.  Is there a way to make it look in a child folder?
    Thanks
    Cephas
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:54 AM
  • GrandpaBob,

Thank you for pointing this out. I'll file a bug to track this issue.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:52 PM
  • As GrandpaBob said, moving the datasources to the root folder solves the problem of them not showing up in the Data Source Configuration Wizard.  However, now when I try to run my report I'm getting the following error:

"An error has occurred during report processing. The type specified in the TypeName property of ObjectDataSource 'ObjectDataSource1' could not be found."

I recall getting this same error while working in Visual Studio 2008 and the problem was resolved when moving the data source files to the App_Code folder.  But in VS 2010, if I try moving the data sources back to the App_Code folder, they aren't found because they are no longer in the root folder (when I run the report, I get a timeout error...I'm assuming this is because the data source cannot be found). 

Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:43 PM
  • smcgrath1977, this sounds like an issue pointed out by Charles Wang's rely to this thread. Have you alreayd done the following?

1. go into report designer and refresh the dataset
    2. rebind your data source in the ReportViewer control

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:33 PM
  • I refreshed the dataset, but when I try to go back in and configure the data source on "ObjectDataSource1", I get this error:

The type 'SummaryByUnitGroupDataTableAdapters.DataTable1 TableAdapter' could not be loaded.  If the type is located in the App_Code folder, please check that it compiles.  If the type is located in a compiled assembly, please check that the assembly is referenced by the project.

The type 'SummaryByUnitGroupDataTableAdapters.DataTable1 TableAdapter' could not be found.

So at this point, I know I can configure the datasource if the XSD file is in the App_Code folder (I just tested this and the error I noted in this post no longer occurs), but the report will time out because it can't find the dataset (apparently because the XSD file is not in the root folder).

On the other hand, if I move the XSD file to the root folder, the report CAN find the dataset but the TypeName CAN'T be found as noted in the error in my previous post.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Sounds like you're trying to configure the Web form's data source directly. I was talking about opening the ReportViewer Tasks pane and click Rebind Data Sources. That should update the ObjectDataSource1 object in your ASPX file. Lets make sure you do that before we get ugly by digging into your data source's .Designer.cs files.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Sorry, I was away for a couple days and just got back to this issue.

I did attempt clicking Rebind Data Sources as you suggested, but I am still getting the following error displayed in the ReportViewer control on my .aspx page:

"An error has occurred during report processing. The type specified in the TypeName property of ObjectDataSource 'ObjectDataSource1' could not be found."

Monday, March 22, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Here are two things you can try:

1. Remove ObjectDataSource1 from your ASPX page, then select your report to auto-generate the data source again and see if it works.

2. If 1 doesn't work, you might want to copy and paste the value of ObjectDataSource1.TypeName into code behind and see if it resolves to a type name. If not, there's a type name mismatch with the type name specified in your XSD's .design.cs file. The TypeName property should contain the full type name of the data source as defined by your XSD, including the namespace. If you created your data source using the Data Source Configuration Wizard, by default this will look like:

<asp:ObjectDataSource ID="ObjectDataSource1" runat="server"

SelectMethod="<TableAdapter's_Select_method_name>"

TypeName="<project_name>.<XSD_name>.<TableAdapter_name>">

</asp:ObjectDataSource>

You should be able to find all the info above from your XSD. 
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:03 PM
  • A general tip for this thread, going from the previous post: Visual Studio automatically renames the namespace of your data source depending on where you place the data source in the project tree. This is pretty clear if you have your data source's .design.cs file open, then try to drag the XSD into a different folder, and then watch the namespaces change names in the .design.cs file.

Actually, you CAN have your data sources in a directory other than the root project directory. You just need to make sure that the namespace changes to your TableAdapter in the .design.cs file is reflected in the ObjectDataSource.TypeName property in your ASPX file.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:13 PM
  • Here are two things you can try:

1. Remove ObjectDataSource1 from your ASPX page, then select your report to auto-generate the data source again and see if it works.

2. If 1 doesn't work, you might want to copy and paste the value of ObjectDataSource1.TypeName into code behind and see if it resolves to a type name. If not, there's a type name mismatch with the type name specified in your XSD's .design.cs file. The TypeName property should contain the full type name of the data source as defined by your XSD, including the namespace. If you created your data source using the Data Source Configuration Wizard, by default this will look like:

SelectMethod="<TableAdapter's_Select_method_name>"

TypeName="<project_name>.<XSD_name>.<TableAdapter_name>">

You should be able to find all the info above from your XSD. 

I removed ObjectDataSource1 and generated the data source again and that seems to have resolved the TypeName error.  However, now when I debug, the page loads and shows the report as "Loading..."   I waited about 5 minutes and the report has still not displayed (FYI - This same report would run within 5 seconds in Visual Studio 2008).  

I then tried to go back to the report designer and refresh the dataset since nothing was loading in the report, but when I clicked "Refresh" all of the dataset fields disappeared.  So it feels like I'm back to my original problem...when the XSD files are in the App_Code folder, the dataset is not found in the report designer and therefore the report does not load.  If the XSD files are in the root directory, the dataset is found in the report designer but I'm unable to configure the datasource and as a result, get the TypeName error as previously noted.

Also, please note that this is a VB Web Site originally created in Visual Studio 2008 and converted to Visual Studio 2010.  So I don't have a .design.cs file to refer to.  Is there something similar I can refer to for my VB project that I'm just not aware of?

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Smcgrath1977, this may be due to the new postback behavior of the 2010 AJAX conrol. Take a look at this blog entry by Brian Hartman. Let me know if it solves your problem.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Smcgrath1977, this may be due to the new postback behavior of the 2010 AJAX conrol. Take a look at this blog entry by Brian Hartman. Let me know if it solves your problem.

It does appear the postback behavior was the reason the report continued running in the "Loading" phase until I killed the process.  I altered the code-behind to include the check of IsPostBack and the report ran successfully.

However, I still don't feel like the problem is resolved completely because I really can't add/edit/refresh datasets in the report designer while at the same time storing my XSD files in the App_Code directory.  I basically had to use the process outlined below to get the report to run successfully:

First, some Background Info: XSD files are stored in App_Code directory; ASPX and VB files are stored in the root directory

1. I tried refreshing the datasets in the report designer, but the fields in the "Report Data" pane disappeared (appears to be because my XSD files are stored in the App_Code directory).  So obviously, if I tried loading the page now, there would be errors because none of my report fields can be found.  
    2. So, I then moved the XSD files to the root directory and refreshed the datasets in the report designer. The fields reappeared, but now I get the following error when loading the page/running the report (I've noted this in previous posts): "An error has occurred during report processing. The type specified in the TypeName property of ObjectDataSource 'ObjectDataSource1' could not be found."
    3. Finally, I moved the XSD files back to the App_Code folder BUT DID NOT REFRESH the datasets in the report designer. The page loaded and the report ran successfully.

In summary, the main problem is the fact that the report designer will only allow me to add/edit/refresh datasets if the XSD files are stored in the root folder.  However, it appears I need to have the XSD files in the App_Code folder to avoid the TypeName error.  I seem to have found a workaround using the 3 steps above, but I'd rather not have to go that route when converting all of my other 2008 ASPX pages to 2010. 

By the way, I appreciate all the feedback I've received so far.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Smcgrath1977, thank you for your feedback. GrandpaBob has the same complaint. I have logged this issue in our system.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:20 PM
  • I do have the same problems as GrandpaBob. I do not want to put xds in the root folder. I start to feel comfortable with reportviewer then came vs 2010 reportviewer. I cannot get the dataset to stay in the folder. I hope Microsoft come up with some solutions. Thanks 

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:50 PM
  • HI I too have a similar issue....

I don't have app_code folder in my application so when i creating the rdlc file it creates XSD file in the root.

When i try to bind the reportviewer with the XSD file using objectdatasource control it's getting the following error.

The type 'DataSet.......TableAdapters......_time__comisTableAdapters' could not be loaded. If the type is located in the App_Code folder, please check that it compiles. If the type is located in a compiled assembly, please check that the assembly is referenced by the project.

The type 'Dataset.......' could not be found.

Can anybody help me to bind the objectdatasource to that XSD file.

• Proposed as answer by Asad Chema Friday, September 3, 2010 1:49 PM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:00 PM
  • I too am having the same problems as the original poster. My rdlc files are in a sub folder and when I try to add a dataset I get taken straight to the Dataset Properties window.

I want to select an object as a datasource not a database and I don't get that option. 

• Proposed as answer by Asad Chema Friday, September 3, 2010 1:49 PM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Hi fellows,

I am new to the forum, i am facing the same problem to configure List<T> as Objectdatasource in RDLC file, this walkthrough http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251692(VS.100).aspx helped me to resolve issue. But now i am going through another issue, my datasource has around 700 rows of type T, but it is now displaying on page.... no error, but simpley no report output.

Thanks.

Asad Cheema
    Friday, September 3, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Having the same issues as all the above. I have worked with the Report Viewer since its release in .NET and SQLServer formats and deviations for both Win and Web.

With the rdlc which VS2010 converts from 2008 format, my problem is that if I change a Table, and change the XSD, then go to the RDL to refresh the datasource (so that I can see new fields) - it just hangs.

You can put your XSD in the root and/or App_Code - makes no difference.

For a new Report created in 2010 - Add Dataset - hangs

Using the Report Wizard - hangs

Re-installed VS 2010 reportviewer several times.

My only solution is that I am using VS2005 with the 2008 Report Viewer over the same project/web site to do all my rdl work

As suggested earlier, there is evidence of an installation issue - and I speak with 40 years IT experience and a committed Microsoft developer.

• Proposed as answer by Falantrice Friday, December 3, 2010 8:46 PM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 10:22 AM
  • After messing with this for a few days I found one bug related to this issue (type could not be found) and a simple workaround for my issue. It occurs when the ObjectDataSource1 is embedded onto a web page if the project name and thenamespace are different. Why the report viewer generator uses project name and not default namespace confuses me. You get a the type could not be found issue in the form you have imbedded the report viewer on. 

switch projName with your NameSpace and all will be good.

SelectMethod="GetData" 

TypeName="projName.tTableAdapters.rpt_TableAdapter" 

OldValuesParameterFormatString="original_{0}">

Let me know if that fixes any of your issues.

• Edited by Falantrice Friday, December 3, 2010 10:03 PM formatting
    Friday, December 3, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Good Point.

Doesn't help me though..

Thursday, January 6, 2011 5:06 AM
  • OK - some resolution.

Digging around, it seems that VS2010 WEB projects do not support Datasources. So any documentation or guidance which goes down that path does NOT seem to have any relevance for Web Projects.

If you create a new WEB project in VS2010 - your Report Viewer will still work in design mode on the ASPX pages, and you can play with the report in RDLC Design, but your Datasets cannot be refreshed, added etc.

So don't.

Create your site in IIS, and use Open Web Site, and all is forgiven....

For the Microsoft people watching / listening...

We use XSD Dataset sources for our ReportViewer data so that the thing is tied to the Connection string name - thus enabling deployment, staging etc.

If you want to keep the restriction above, please enable Connect to Connection String as an option on the Data drop down menu.

Friday, January 7, 2011 12:07 AM
  • Hi All,

I want to bind my rdlc to a collection of my custom business entity class which I am not able to do in the web project vs win project.

As soon as I click on New-->Dataset option in the Report Data pan, it always asks for a connection string. Whereas in the win project I have variaty of dataset type to choose from (database, XML, object datasource etc.).

On the internet, I can see this bug is existing from a long time which I think is not resolved yet.

Do anyone know the solution to it? I want to design my RDLC using a custom class.

Also sometimes when I click on New-Dataset option, VS2010 IDE crashes

Any help is appriciated.

Chintan
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Hi All,

I want to bind my rdlc to a collection of my custom business entity class which I am not able to do in the web project vs win project.

As soon as I click on New-->Dataset option in the Report Data pan, it always asks for a connection string. Whereas in the win project I have variaty of dataset type to choose from (database, XML, object datasource etc.).

On the internet, I can see this bug is existing from a long time which I think is not resolved yet.

Do anyone know the solution to it? I want to design my RDLC using a custom class.

Also sometimes when I click on New-Dataset option, VS2010 IDE crashes

Chintan
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Finally forced to solve this....

I needed to add a reference to ReportviewerCommon as well as Winforms or Webforms.

OK - so Datasources panel is still blank - as per Microsoft advice, but now I can Add Dataset and my xsd (in the root folder) is in the pull down list

Ian Fry Fry Systems Pty Ltd Adelaide, Australia
    Monday, July 18, 2011 2:19 AM
  • Exactly the same for me, any idea?
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Did you do as I suggested above?

a) The reference to ReportViewerCommon did not exist under VS2008. It is mandatory for this to work in VS2010 but that is undocumented as far as I can tell.

b) Your DATASOURCES panel will still be empty. See previous Microsoft comments about that no longer being supported.

c) But you Report Data tab will have

- BuiltIn Fields, Images and Parameters

d) If you do New | Dataset, then your XSD (now needs to be in the root folder) will be in the Datasource drop down list..

Monday, July 25, 2011 12:04 PM
  • Thanks Ian for quick reply.

Yes the references to reportviewer are correctly set.

Mine is a web application, VS2010, framework 4.0 and my collegues that start developing the application had already built a dozen of reports in it without explictly creating any xsd (just a simple add data source wizard and bound to business clr objects,that worked for them!).

Now i can see/design reports already built but any attempt to modify datasources (datasources are listed in Report Data) causes a VS2010 fatal crash (sometimes it does not crash, but nothings happens).

Are you suggesting us to create a real xsd for each report? Its a bit of work to reingneer all the reports and the web application already in production...

Monday, July 25, 2011 5:21 PM
  • My situation was that I already had pre-existing XSD.

I used XSD because that was the only / best practice way of driving a connection through the web.config settings.

With Connection strings in-built into reports, you will / may have to modify the code to move it from DEV to LIVE.

Of course, you could have DEV reports running on LIVE data - which is safe as far as corrupting the data is concerned, but not a good idea if you want to change database structures later on.

The VS2010 fatal crash / hanging is what we were getting when you try and do ADD DATASOURCE.

Sorry - can't help

Monday, July 25, 2011 10:22 PM
  • You've been very helpful indeed Ian!

Probabily the VS2010-AddDatasource-Explosion is due to classes structure in solution. No matter what you do when solution grows bigger there is always a business class, a datalayer class or another class that crashes the environment. Probabily it's the reporting engine that explodes during reflection on classes but we will never know because there's no log of that.

My workaround for now is to copy the whole solution in a dummy one, delete all files except those classes used in datasource, build the report in this dummy project and then copy back the report to the original solution. 

Friday, July 29, 2011 12:59 PM

Wow - worked here too.

Funny that I have four other data sources in a sub-directory called DataSources that are working fine. I was just trying to add one more. VS creates these definitions for me and puts them there, just could not hook them up. When I dragged and dropped it to the root, I could see ALL the datasources even though the others were not moved.

Once I had my datasource in the report, I moved it back to my nice and neat DataSources directory. Still works.

I'm kinda thinking that is a bug in VS2010. It certainly is not intuitive and the location of the rdlc and datasources are in the csproj file which includes the director information.

UPDATE:

Moving the datasources around proved problematic for maintenance. I eventually moved them all to the root and left them there. Works like a champ. Today I added another report with a new datasource. Imagine my surprise when the directory Properties|DataSources showed up again with my new definition. Had to move it to use it.

Sorry, but you have to call this a bug Microsoft.

MP

• Edited by MPrutz Friday, August 17, 2012 8:20 PM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:11 AM