Metro apps don't work, BUT...

Question

• Hello people. Well, I'm using the Windows Developer Preview and my apps have stopped working! And before you say my resolution is not the right one or that I'm using a Live ID, you're wrong, my resolution is 1440 x 900 and I'm using a local account, so that's NOT an answer for my problem. I think they got damaged when my Windows checked, cleaned and repaired my hard drive, but then if that's the problem, how can I get them back?

This is the error message I get when I open any app, in this case the Piano (at first it showed the loading screen and then just a green screen, but now it shows an error message):

ms-windows-s...:PDP?PFN=microsoft.audiotagpiano_8wekyb3d8bbwe&errorCode:80073d01

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:33 PM

Answers

• From within the metro UI, click on control panel ->General -> Refresh your PC without affecting your files.

Click on the "Get Started" button. click Next and walk through the prompts.

• Marked as answer by Agus_x_12 Monday, September 19, 2011 5:12 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry to hear all of your apps have stopped working Agus_x_12.   :c 

Have you tried using the "Refresh your PC" option to reinstall the OS without losing your files?  In case you need help finding it:

1. Click Start > Control Panel

2. Select the General section on the left

3. Click the “Get started” button under “Refresh your PC without affecting your files” and follow the steps given by the wizard

Please let us know if this resolves the issue, or if you come across any others along the way.

rafael

Microsoft Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3)
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello everyone,

If you have or are experiencing an error message similar to:

"ms-windows-store:PDP?PFN=microsoft.weather_8wekyb3d8bbwe&errorCode=80073d01
    Call was canceled by the message filter"

Please submit this error as feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

During the bug submission process it would help to have the content of two exported registry keys attached to your submission. The registry keys in question are:

• HKEY_CURRENT-USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\StateChange

To export the keys:

• Right click on the location in the registry
    • Click Export
    • Choose a location and name for the exported registry file
    • Click Save
    • Repeat process for other key

When submitting your bug please include this portion of your error message in the "Briefly summarize your issue:" field:
    "errorCode=80073d01"

Also when you reach the "Confirm and Send" screen in the bug submission, please click Add... and upload the following files:

• "%SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer%4Operational.evtx"
    • The two exported registry keys you exported above

Thanks again for your feedback.

Steven
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 2:38 AM

All replies

• From within the metro UI, click on control panel ->General -> Refresh your PC without affecting your files.

Click on the "Get Started" button. click Next and walk through the prompts.

• Marked as answer by Agus_x_12 Monday, September 19, 2011 5:12 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry to hear all of your apps have stopped working Agus_x_12.   :c 

Have you tried using the "Refresh your PC" option to reinstall the OS without losing your files?  In case you need help finding it:

1. Click Start > Control Panel

2. Select the General section on the left

3. Click the “Get started” button under “Refresh your PC without affecting your files” and follow the steps given by the wizard

Please let us know if this resolves the issue, or if you come across any others along the way.

rafael

Microsoft Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3)
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:59 PM
    Answerer
  • fwiw, I have to be signed into a LiveID for any of my Metro apps to
    work. :(

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Thanks Amy and Rafael, after refreshing my PC I got the apps back :D.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Hello everyone,

If you have or are experiencing an error message similar to:

"ms-windows-store:PDP?PFN=microsoft.weather_8wekyb3d8bbwe&errorCode=80073d01
    Call was canceled by the message filter"

Please submit this error as feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

During the bug submission process it would help to have the content of two exported registry keys attached to your submission. The registry keys in question are:

• HKEY_CURRENT-USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\StateChange

To export the keys:

• Right click on the location in the registry
    • Click Export
    • Choose a location and name for the exported registry file
    • Click Save
    • Repeat process for other key

When submitting your bug please include this portion of your error message in the "Briefly summarize your issue:" field:
    "errorCode=80073d01"

Also when you reach the "Confirm and Send" screen in the bug submission, please click Add... and upload the following files:

• "%SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer%4Operational.evtx"
    • The two exported registry keys you exported above

Thanks again for your feedback.

Steven
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 2:38 AM
  • This happened to me while I was using a Live Account, I refreshed the computer, they worked for a little bit, then stopped again. (I'm not using a Live Account this time, I've been using a Local since refreshing.)

MSFT support, please tell us that this isn't going to be a problem with the Beta as well, I mean are we going to have to refresh for every problem like this? 0_0;

Some positive feedback though: I love the way that Microsoft is taking Windows. Such a radical change in the User Interface hasn't been seen since Windows 95 was released! :D

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:34 AM