Search Engine Optimization RRS feed

• Question

• Having recently used PivotViewer to create http://zoomappy.com, I was curious about how effective this technology is with respect to Search Engine Optimization (SEO). I want to leverage as much as I can with the search engines given the amount of content served up through the pivot collections. Otherwise, it'll just get buried down below other sites that achive have higher rankings.

Does anyone know how the search engines see this content and whether it's optimized for SEO? If there are limitations, can this be addressed in future iteretions or just something that can't possibly be achieved in this form?

I am not an SEO expert but I know enough to want to take full advantage of the work I am doing to boost my site rating. Any advice on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 4:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks for the link! It provided some very useful information. From it, I was able to takeaway a few things that I need to think about with respect to my project:

1. Use a hybrid Asp.net and Silverlight approach so you can generate text to the browser outside of the Silverlight application. I don't think the search engine crawlers can process .XAP files so any content within the Silverlight application (as with Flash) won't be seen by the search engine bots. If you don't care about search engine ranking, this is not a big deal. In my case, it's a very big deal.

2. Provide links to all .CXML files your site uses with the pivotviewer. I plan to have multiple files with different collections to view. By providing links, the search engines (my assumption) can process the XML data and take full advantage of the content your pivotviewer is rendering.
    This is not a replacement for the pivotviewer...simply a trick to allow the search engine crawlers to find the content that they could not otherwise find because it was hidden through your Silverlight application. The downside here is that the links are generally useless to the end-user when using a normal browser. The .CXML links are only useful if they were using the client PivotViewer tool that they can download and install locally. Otherwise, the links to the .CXML data is just a trick/workaround to allow search engines to scan all the content.

3. Use user-friendly URL's for all webpages. This is just good design in general and every Silverlight application exposed through a browser should do this...especially when SEO is important. The URL's should help describe the content on each web page.

Not sure all my assumptions are correct. Ultimately, I believe that any application this is purely executed through Silverlight will suffer from poor SEO (aside from using user-friendly URL's). That's unfortunate if you have a site that is rich in content that would be very useful in improving search engine rankings.

Can anyone confirm or dispute these assumptions and suggested approaches?

Monday, August 2, 2010 5:06 AM
  • Monday, August 2, 2010 6:00 AM
  • Yes, I think that addresses #1 and #2! Awesome!

I am not sure how the nuts and bolts work to make the down-level HTML readable but smarterr people have figured that out apparently.

I'll have to play with this some more to confirm that it works as described but it looks very promising and I'm confident this will cure my anxiety about not being able leverage search engine rankings to bring traffic to my site.

Thanks for the resources!

Monday, August 2, 2010 11:44 AM
  • Science SEO is not an exact science, not just a newbie who has to learn even;  SEO Expert Indonesian call Pakar SEO , also must continue to actively address the science of SEO is always evolving and now even more "memanusiawi", meaning that continues to evolve in accordance with human experience (the user experience). SEO is not just theory, but science must Do it and do to find the best way. "Better do a small step compared to not doing anything because it was too busy studying" http://denikuta.blogspot.com/2014/04/terobsesi-ahli-pakar-seo-indonesia.html

• Edited by Azzahra Monday, May 12, 2014 1:52 PM
    Monday, May 12, 2014 1:51 PM
  •  SEO for is one that remains a mystery to this day.
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:43 AM