[Robosoft] Urgent - What version of .Net is mandatory for MSRDS2008_CTPApril ??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I'm currently porting robuBOX (Robosoft's application package, available on all our robots) to MSRDS 2008.

Everything compiled correctly, I got everything running on my development laptop (simulations, gui, control and fleet management services etc...), but I can't get my robots to start a DssNode...

The issue I have is simple: even a "Dsshost -p:50000 -t:500001 " gets blocked when executed: the dsshost process exists but nothing happens: the online line I have in the command prompt is th one I wrote.
    No error message, no access to the node properties through IE.

So, I'm wondering why. I solved the SecuritySettings issues by copying the file generated by the securityManager on my laptop. This previous issue is now solved, but the DSS node still doesn't start.

On the robots we are running Windows XPe and .Net 2.0.
    In MSRS1.5, the .Net 3.0 was usefull only for the simulations, so we didn't install it on the robots.

Is it still the case with 2008?? What version of .Net (or else) is mandatory on the robots to perfrom DSS and CCR operations (No VPL, no simulation etc...) ??

Thanks for your rapid answer !

Damien SALLE
    Head of the Software Department.
    Robosoft - www.robosoft.com
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:44 AM

Answers

• Thanks all for your inputs.

Here's the final update for this issue, if it is of any help for others:
    - MRDS2008 does require .Net3.5
    - When installing a XPembedded image with Target Designer, one can add the .Net2.0 component (this is what we did).
    It is then installed as part of the OS and cannot be de-installed.
    This version of .Net2.0 is not compatible with the .Net3.5 msi install. Indeed, it cannot de-install .Net2.0, nor upgrade it, as the OS locks it, in order to guarantee the validation of dependencies to other windows components.
    The patch proposed here doesn't work for us... http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded/archive/2008/02/08/trying-to-install-net-3-5-on-top-of-net-2-0-in-xpe.aspx

- There is not yet any Xpe component available for .Net3.5
    - So it is mandatory to create the XPe image without .Net 2.0 as component, then install .Net3.5 msi on the deployed windows. There is a list of dependencies required for .Net 3.0, available at: http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded/archive/2007/03/23/deploying-net-framework-3-0-desktop-distribution-package-on-windows-xp-embedded-sp2-runtime.aspx
    However (at least with our image), even if using the full .Net 3.5 download, the install DOES require an internet connection to download about 10Mo. (So I guess, there are some more depencies required for .net3.5, on top of those required for .Net3.0...)

So, if you follow all these steps, then MRDS2008 works fine using just a DssDeploy package (except for the Microsoft.xna.framework.dll that never gets deployed... But that's another story ! )

( Btw, for us, the MRDS2008 full install doesn't complete a correct the installation of .Net3.5...).

Hope this might save long days and hassles to others !!

Damien
    PS: if someone finds a Target Designer component for .Net3.5, please tell us!!
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:26 PM

All replies

• What do you mean with "blocked" when starting a dsshost? no popup? Did you start the correct Robotics Studio Command prompt?

Are you running on Windows XP embedded (I have no experience with that)?

I think everything should run OK with VS2005 (.net 2.0), but you could try and install .net 3.5

Erik

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:58 PM
  • "What do you mean with "blocked" when starting a dsshost? no popup? Did you start the correct Robotics Studio Command prompt?" : I just have a carriage return and the rest of the window remains black. No pop-up, no error, no prompt... nothing else than Dsshost executing... but doing nothing.

Yes, as explained, I'm using XP embedded. We never had any issue with since the very first versions of MSRS.

It's an embedded PC for the control of the robot, so no Visual studio, no .Net 3.0 no Ageia, nothing.
    Not even the full install of MSRS: just the DssDeploy generated for each robot.

Worked perfectly with MSRS1.5.

Since my last post, I've tryied to install .Net 3.5 on the robot: Even if I downloaded the full package, the install software still requires to download something (70Mo). So I connected the robot on the web, but the download gets stucked after 61Mo...

So I believe I might miss a component in my XPe image... or not!

So before I rebuild a new XPe image for the robot, I'd really like to know if MRDS2008 requires .Net3.5 to run, or just 2.0, or even 2.0SP1 ??

Thanks.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:43 PM
  • I did a quick test for you (on an Windows XP image with only .net 2.0) I created a DSSDEPOLY package (with the /e- option) installed it.

And the DSSHOST has the same behaviour, nothing on the screen (until you press CTRL-C)

Installed .net 3.5 (there is a large full install package available at [1], instead of the small boatloader)

first, the same result, but wait, after a while it will start, so it seems like 3.5 is required!

Erik

[1] http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:41 PM
  • We definately require .Net 3.5 install for MSRDS 2008 to work. If you use are full download, it will install everything you need, without ever hitting the web, so it might be appropriate to run that install on the robot.

g

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Thanks all for your inputs.

Here's the final update for this issue, if it is of any help for others:
    - MRDS2008 does require .Net3.5
    - When installing a XPembedded image with Target Designer, one can add the .Net2.0 component (this is what we did).
    It is then installed as part of the OS and cannot be de-installed.
    This version of .Net2.0 is not compatible with the .Net3.5 msi install. Indeed, it cannot de-install .Net2.0, nor upgrade it, as the OS locks it, in order to guarantee the validation of dependencies to other windows components.
    The patch proposed here doesn't work for us... http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded/archive/2008/02/08/trying-to-install-net-3-5-on-top-of-net-2-0-in-xpe.aspx

- There is not yet any Xpe component available for .Net3.5
    - So it is mandatory to create the XPe image without .Net 2.0 as component, then install .Net3.5 msi on the deployed windows. There is a list of dependencies required for .Net 3.0, available at: http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded/archive/2007/03/23/deploying-net-framework-3-0-desktop-distribution-package-on-windows-xp-embedded-sp2-runtime.aspx
    However (at least with our image), even if using the full .Net 3.5 download, the install DOES require an internet connection to download about 10Mo. (So I guess, there are some more depencies required for .net3.5, on top of those required for .Net3.0...)

So, if you follow all these steps, then MRDS2008 works fine using just a DssDeploy package (except for the Microsoft.xna.framework.dll that never gets deployed... But that's another story ! )

( Btw, for us, the MRDS2008 full install doesn't complete a correct the installation of .Net3.5...).

Hope this might save long days and hassles to others !!

Damien
    PS: if someone finds a Target Designer component for .Net3.5, please tell us!!
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

There has not been an official XPe component released for the .NET Framework 3.0 or 3.5.

I have a question about the scenario you describe above.  You said you tried to remove the registry value described at http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded/archive/2008/02/08/trying-to-install-net-3-5-on-top-of-net-2-0-in-xpe.aspx and that it didn't allow you to install the .NET Framework 3.5.  In that case, you are likely running into an additional error after solving this first one.  In order to tell for sure though, I'd need to see your .NET Framework 3.5 setup log files.  Can you please post them on a file server somewhere so I can download them and take a look?  You can find a list of the log files produced by .NET Framework 3.5 setup at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/04/30/8445569.aspx.

Thanks!  Aaron

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Hi!

Sorry for the delay in the answer, but as usual at Robosoft, we're just overwhelmed with work...
    So, as I said I just forgot about the possibility to add .Net 3.5 on top of .Net 2.0, and I just recompiled entirely a new XP embedded image with all the dependencies required for .Net 3.5.
    And this works fine.

The only painful thing is that we will have to do the for all the PC running our different robots. So that makes 3 more images to regenerate...

So I don't have the log files any more, and won't spend time now to re-perform the upgrade.

Maybe when we'll have to upgrade .Net on the other PC I'll spend some time getting the logs and sending them...

Anyhow, thanks all for your help !

Damien
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:07 PM