Feature Request: Object Names in Excel RRS feed

• Question

• BIDS allows an SSAS cube designer to rename Object names but Object IDs are assigned automatically and are immutable. Object IDs often confuse my Excel users. I know the MDX Excel generates needs to use the ObjectID but the display in the pivot table field list should default to object names rather than Object IDs. Otherwise why bother even having Object Names?

OR maybe allow the changing of Object IDs in BIDS

OR allow MDX queries to use Object Names AND expose the Object Names in Excel.

OR I might be missing something.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Labry,

What's the exact meaning of the "Object IDs" in your post? Like [Product].[Category].&[1] or in BIDS click objects such as dimensions, attributes and in its properties windows, value of the ID property?

If it is [Product].[Category].&[1], it is member key. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms145495.aspx for more information about member expression.

If it is dimension or attributes IDs, they are automatically generated and are not changable. But they are also not  present in our MDX. How did you generate the MDX? Generally, we can enable Analysis Services profiler to capture the MDX.

Hope more detailed description about your quesiton if i misunderstand.

Regards, 

Jerry

TechNet Subscriber Supportin forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Jerry Nee Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:54 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:14 AM

All replies

• BIDS allows an SSAS cube designer to rename Object names but Object IDs are assigned automatically and are immutable. Object IDs often confuse my users. I know the MDX Excel generates needs to use the ObjectID but the display in the pivot table field list should default to object names rather than Object IDs.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi Labry,

What's the exact meaning of the "Object IDs" in your post? Like [Product].[Category].&[1] or in BIDS click objects such as dimensions, attributes and in its properties windows, value of the ID property?

If it is [Product].[Category].&[1], it is member key. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms145495.aspx for more information about member expression.

If it is dimension or attributes IDs, they are automatically generated and are not changable. But they are also not  present in our MDX. How did you generate the MDX? Generally, we can enable Analysis Services profiler to capture the MDX.

Hope more detailed description about your quesiton if i misunderstand.

Regards, 

Jerry

TechNet Subscriber Supportin forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Jerry Nee Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:54 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:14 AM
  • I'm talking about the Dimension ObjectIDs. That's good that the ObjectIDs aren't present in the MDX. I was mistaken about that. It should make it easier to expose the object Name of the Dimensions in Excel rather than the ObjectID of the Dimensions(and the measure groups).
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:15 PM
  • OK I realize now that my problem is self inflicted. You have to rename the "cube" Dimensions in the cube editor not the Dimension Editor.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Friday, September 23, 2011 5:30 PM