none
How do you enable Intel Turbo boost technology 2.0? (nv series vm capped at 2.6ghz?) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

New to Azure, having a lot of fun learning but I don't understand why the NV series VM I built appears to cap it's CPU usage at 2.6hz (approx) when the Microsoft site says that single core performance should get as high as 3.7ghz (approx) based on the VM selection.

I was wondering if I'm missing something, am I supposed to enable Intel Turbo Boost somehow on the VM?, if so how - I was unable to find any info regarding this on the forums or a google search - what I did find just confused me a bit more so I figured better check with the community!

Thanks all,

• Edited by Frostyequinox Friday, September 20, 2019 1:06 AM Update subject
    Friday, September 20, 2019 1:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The Intel Turbo Boost is enabled by default for the VM's. You dont have to do anything specific to enable it.

Please check similar MSDN threads below:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e8770f6b-9eca-4d30-854c-bcbf0979fc00/enabling-turbo-boost-on-d-series-servers?forum=WAVirtualMachinesforWindows

I am also reaching out to internal team on this, I will update once I hear back on this.

Thanks.

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:13 AM
  • That is what I read as well, but why then does it say that the max CPU frequency when under full load within the VM is only 2.6ghz when Turbo Boost should have it running at 3.7? (this is the part I don't get) - 

I'll wait to hear back from you on this one, thank you.

Sunday, September 22, 2019 5:01 AM
  • Hello,

Apologies in delayed response.

This is the information that I got from the internal team, Turbo Boost is an internal implementationand is triggered automatically as needed by the underlying host infrastructure and there is no way to control it or monitor it by customer.

Also, can you please share the official Microsoft document link, where you have read NV series VM Turbo Boosts upto 3.7 ghz.

Thanks. 

Monday, September 30, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

Just checking in if you got a chance to see my previous reply.

If the suggested answer has solved your query, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the benefit of other community members.

Thanks.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 5:45 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer has solved your query, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the benefit of other community members.

Thanks.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:31 AM