Consistent Property on Outlook mail RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to set a consistent property and value on Outlook mail.

The property and value should not be removed by reply from the outside or forward.

Is it possible to set it on mail?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by Equipe10 Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:37 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:21 AM

Answers

• Are the recipients actually using Outlook? If not forget it, the property would never be preserved.

If they are using Outlook you need to send the item as Rich text and set the recipient properties, the general Outlook properties and any Exchange server settings to preserve Rich text when sent over the Internet and not convert to HTML.

If those things are all done and the moon is right you might end up with the recipient getting what you want.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

• Marked as answer by Quist Zhang Tuesday, July 9, 2013 7:11 AM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Two main properties are used for conversations in Outlook: ConversationTopic and ConversationIndex.

ConversationTopic  is derived from the original subject, without any RE: or FWD: that might exist.

ConversationIndex starts as a time/date stamp and for each new item in the conversation a new time/date stamp is appended to the existing ConversationIndex.

Using that information allows you to figure out any conversations and the members in correct order.

If you are using Outlook 2010 or later you can work with the Conversation object, which make it easier to handle conversations. You can check out the information on the Conversation object at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff862527.aspx

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:49 PM

All replies

• no forward user properties will be preserved, but on reply not - you will need some code to do that for you (addin).
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.

Actually, I've built addin for adding my value to Billinginformation.

(My value is project number of my company)

When user click send button on mail, my form pops up and get the project number from the user.

Then I put the project number to Billinginformation with the following code.

MailItem.BillingInformation = szValue

But the value of BillingInformation is gone when a recipient at the outside of my company reply the mail.

How can I keep the project number?

Do I have to use the other property or other way?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Are the recipients actually using Outlook? If not forget it, the property would never be preserved.

If they are using Outlook you need to send the item as Rich text and set the recipient properties, the general Outlook properties and any Exchange server settings to preserve Rich text when sent over the Internet and not convert to HTML.

If those things are all done and the moon is right you might end up with the recipient getting what you want.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Thank you for your answer, Ken.

The recipients do not use Outlook and MS Exchange. Their mail server can be Unix or Linux.

If I cannot track the mail with property, how can I link the mail that I've sent and the mail that has been replied with project number?

Actually, I've tried to link these two mails with Conversation Index but I've failed.

I thought Conversation Index of the mail that I've sent and the mail that has been replied are the same but it is not true.

Any comment would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 5:30 AM
  • Two main properties are used for conversations in Outlook: ConversationTopic and ConversationIndex.

ConversationTopic  is derived from the original subject, without any RE: or FWD: that might exist.

ConversationIndex starts as a time/date stamp and for each new item in the conversation a new time/date stamp is appended to the existing ConversationIndex.

Using that information allows you to figure out any conversations and the members in correct order.

If you are using Outlook 2010 or later you can work with the Conversation object, which make it easier to handle conversations. You can check out the information on the Conversation object at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff862527.aspx

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:49 PM