Installation fo the CAB was unsuccessful RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I made a CAB installer for my WM6.1 device using the SDK of WM6.0 (while developing)...
    The CAB worked well, in fact very well, but after installation the application was not running I found that I missed a DLL, then I informed the IDE while developing the CAB as to where that CAB place that DLL...

This time in the real device it gave the error "Installation of the CAB was unsuccessful"
    This error did NOT have any details with it informing me why that error occured, it simply said "Installation of the CAB was unsuccessfu"

Can someone plz help me out why is it happening ?

Thanks in advance,
    Ankur
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Ankur,

If your CAB is working properly on emulator but not on device, then reason could be a sign in.

1) Try the same cab file on different device.

2) If its working on the different device, then try to hard reset the first device.

3) If its still not working fine, you may need to have sign in. Try this developer certificate http://www.codeproject.com/KB/mobile/signcode.aspx.

Regards,
    Malleswar

Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:25 AM
  • If the cab has problems with Your system (:)) it logs this in \Application Data\Voltaile.
    There You can get necessary info of what was the main reason that Your cab didn't work.

If You'll find my answer satisfactory or helpful - mark it as answered! Thank You. PS. Votes also doesn't hurt :).
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Ankur,

If your CAB is working properly on emulator but not on device, then reason could be a sign in.

1) Try the same cab file on different device.

2) If its working on the different device, then try to hard reset the first device.

3) If its still not working fine, you may need to have sign in. Try this developer certificate http://www.codeproject.com/KB/mobile/signcode.aspx.

Regards,
    Malleswar

Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:25 AM
  • If the cab has problems with Your system (:)) it logs this in \Application Data\Voltaile.
    There You can get necessary info of what was the main reason that Your cab didn't work.

If You'll find my answer satisfactory or helpful - mark it as answered! Thank You. PS. Votes also doesn't hurt :).
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Hi Malleswar,

Thanks for the reply, and for the developer certificate...

See, as I already said in mypost that the same CAB installer had executed very well on the same device  earlier  --
       i  said       ..... "in fact very well, but after installation the application was not runnin"....

I have not made any huge changes as such, either to the CAB or to the device, wat I did was just added a dll which will cause my application run.
    Now the device is same on which the same CAB worked very well earlier (when i hadn't added the dll)

Then I felt as if i made some write violations or what, I hope u understand that it is natural for me to feel so after adding the dll and the CAB not working only aftr that..
    But I don think Microsoft has ever put any write restrictions in any folder.

Developer can write in any folder he wants, during the installation

I hope u got my point

Plz help me out

Thanks in advance,
    Ankur
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:49 AM
  • hi Mal Loth,

Thanks for the informing that log location, I will check it out and Let u know

Regards,
    Ankur
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:50 AM
  • Hi Ankur,

Yes Ankur I could understand your problem. If your dll has system accessible APIs your network provider(CDMA) or proxies may block that. Any way is the same CAB(with dll) running perfectly on emulator?

Regards,
    Malleswar

Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Hi Malleswar,

Yes the same CAB running very well on emulator...
    One more important thing : -

As i sed that i felt something abt write violations, i made a nw CAB installer & this time I did not write anythign into the wndows folder, & it worked, donno how.
       Neways, now plz can you help me out with another issue ?

When my application runs in the device "FROM WHICH LOCATION DOES IT TAKE THE DLL's BY DEFAULT?"
    will it search for the dll's in the windows folder ? or program files folder ?

I am asking this because I am using a third party dll in my project (say a dll made by myself)...
    Now I need to inform the CAB installer where to place THIS third party dll during installation...

Thanks in advance,
    Ankur
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:23 AM
  • I've got a similar problem.  I have a CF 2.0 CAB that won't install to a WM5 device when running from Windows7.  However, installing from XP works fine.

I've used this MSDN article as a guide for MSI installation:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446504.aspx

Summary:

Windows7 32-bit machine - VS2008 / WM6 SDK

Symbol WM5 Device - MC70

Created Desktop MSI to install CF2.0 CAB plus my app's CAB thru Custom DLL

During install (running as admin) my app's CAB install successfully, the CF2.0 CAB says "Installation was unsuccessful"

I then pulled back the CAB from the device to compare with source, located here:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v2.0\WindowsCE\wce500\armv4i\NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab

To my surprise, the Device CAB had two HEX bytes different than source CAB.  From beginning:

4D 53 43 46 00 00 00 00 68 48 (from Pullback) rest is same

4D 53 43 46 00 00 00 00 50 22 (from Source) rest is same

When I replace the "68 48" CAB with the "50 22" CAB and launch manually on the device, it installs nicely.  So my question, is:  Why is the SOURCE CAB slightly altered once it reaches the DESTINATION device?  Other than that, the files are identical.

Other things I've tried:

/Device root does not contain a CF2 Install Log

VOLATILE/Setup.log contains no "error" string.

I'm at my wit's end.  The CF piece should just "work".

-Tim

Monday, May 9, 2011 9:13 PM