ADO.Net/Entity framework provider for oracle RRS feed

• Question

• User-1332270657 posted

We have been really tired lately dealing with all bugs that comes out of ODP.Net and the lag time to bring out any new product out. I am looking for ado.net provider for oracle and looking for the following:

1. Entity Framework

2. Linq

3. Good support (in case we run into issues)

4. Quick response to open issues

5. Quick updates and new releases

I looked at datadirect and dotConnect by DevArt...But I am not sure if any one is better than other. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/comments about any of these or other products.

Thanks

Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:41 AM

Answers

• User269602965 posted

I think much of the reason you do not find many of these other products is that they inject a great deal of overhead resulting in slow grid load, etc.

It might be useful to forum members if you would list problems you had with ODP.NET,

maybe I am just lucky, but I have had now problems with any version in direct communication by ASP.NET page or Code Behind Page.

I only have had some problems with the GUI tool type interfaces with Visual Studio.

Over time as I became more proficient with Oracle and ODP.NET at programming level (code behind and/or stored procedures),

and learned some of the differences in syntax with ODP.NET, like how each data type is handled,

I did not have a need to use the Visual Studio GUI tools and explorer, etc. or any third-party glunky entity tool any more.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:07 PM

All replies

• User269602965 posted

If you figure out how to use LINQ to connect with Oracle let us know,

I read in Visual Studio magazine LINQ is specific to MSSQL,

and Oracle Forums stated Oracle has not yet supported LINQ.

Sorry you have troubles with ODP.NET,

I find it is the fastest and most reliable Oracle driver for me,

and at the same time leveraging some of the SQL advantages of Oracle as well.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:43 PM
  • User-1332270657 posted

I am not sure if you got the latest ODAC from oracle...We found a lots of bugs with that. I know that Devart does support linq to oracle but I am not sure about other providers.

Also I am not sure about the experiences people have with Devart or Datadirect. So I just wanted to get some recommendations if anyone has used any other provider for oracle. 

Monday, February 14, 2011 11:15 AM
  • User269602965 posted

I think much of the reason you do not find many of these other products is that they inject a great deal of overhead resulting in slow grid load, etc.

It might be useful to forum members if you would list problems you had with ODP.NET,

maybe I am just lucky, but I have had now problems with any version in direct communication by ASP.NET page or Code Behind Page.

I only have had some problems with the GUI tool type interfaces with Visual Studio.

Over time as I became more proficient with Oracle and ODP.NET at programming level (code behind and/or stored procedures),

and learned some of the differences in syntax with ODP.NET, like how each data type is handled,

I did not have a need to use the Visual Studio GUI tools and explorer, etc. or any third-party glunky entity tool any more.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:07 PM
  • User269602965 posted

Oracle just released an Entity Framework Beta.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/downloads/oracleefbeta-302521.html?msgid=3-3438343197

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:48 PM
  • User-808155981 posted

Do you use the Entity Framework?

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:47 AM
  • User-2088170954 posted
    ngracias, Kellerman Software has an Oracle LINQ provider https://www.kellermansoftware.com/p-47-net-data-access-layer.aspx
    Friday, February 22, 2013 1:19 PM