none
Import Project from Excel to ms project online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi freinds

plz i had a list of project in excel file with some fields like : start date ; end Date and cost  i have more then 1000 projects in this excel file and i want import them from excel to ms project online without write them 1 by 1

tnx all

Saturday, November 16, 2019 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Ja.El,

The best and easiest method for you to move these items to Project Online would be to:

1. Create SharePoint list with the exact same columns as you see in your excel. PAY VERY ?CLOSE ATTENTION to the data type (i.e. if it is a choice dropdown from the excel, make sure you create the sharepoint list with the SAME SPELLING, SPACE etc. for the choices)

2. Create individual MS Project custom fields. AGAIN PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE DATA TYPE

3. Create the Project Detail Pages, Stages, Phases, and Enterprise Project Type

3. Use the bulk edit option and drop the excel entries in the sharepoint list

4. Select the desired # of projects and click on "Create Project" option in the items ribbon, connect to the right Enterprise Project Type and the right custom fields (would recommend start small to identify if you have any error while moving projects)

Let us know if you have any questions!

- Abhi

Sunday, November 17, 2019 3:35 PM
  • Also you can write a small CSOM code, loop through the no.of projects in excel, create projects and set the custom field values accordingly in one GO.

Rajkumar Allepu (MCP) , | https://sharepointprojectserver.com ** Please mark it as answer if my answer would resolved your issue.

Monday, November 18, 2019 10:42 AM
  • Hi Rajkumar

tnx so much for your answer.i make search about that code CSOM but didn't find it in microsoft github he give me erreur 404 file not find plz if possible if you have this small app to share it with me tnx so much

Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:48 AM
  • Hi Abhijit Wadagole

Tnx so much for your answer i try it but didn't work because it's my first time with ms project and PWA i don't now lot of thing about it .. plz if possible a more detail or tutorial to folow it or if possible a distant session to show you my instance ...
    Thursday, December 5, 2019 10:49 AM
  • Ja.El --

You have a great challenge, my friend.  Unfortunately, the answers provided so far have not helped you much.  I realize you are wanting to use a programmatic method to simplify the import process, but I think a manual method would be a lot better.  Have you ever considered using copy and paste of the data for one project in the Excel workbook to a new blank project in Microsoft Project?  You would need to arrange the columns in Excel to match the columns in the Gantt Chart view of Microsoft Project to make this work.  I realize it would be slow, but it would give  you total control over the process of creating each new project, as well as a change to clean up the project before you save it.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:11 PM