none
Moving XPe/WES2009 toolkit from Windows 7 XP Mode to Windows 10 Workstation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

our company attempt ot replace my workstations by a new one. The new workstation has Windows 10 Enterprise O/S, and now I am in trouble regarding the WES2009 and XPe toolkit:

On the current worksation (Windows 7) I needed to put the toolkits into virutal machine (I used XP mode), where each of them has it's own VMs (both in one seems not to work because of the MSDE; an MVP also advised to do so).

Since reinstalling the tools and databases is much work, I tried to "migrate" the XP Mode VMs to Windows 10's Hyper-V VMs. I got it working so far, but one problem remains: The same VMs that are still working on the current workstation lost their actviation - OK, that is common. But when I try to activate, I get a message to enter another product key telling the existing is invalid.

Obtaining new product key is not really an option, because:

• Windows XP Professtional has become EOL a long time before - where should I get it from?
    • I do not agree that I have to do that - it is not my fault that I nedded  to put the tools into a VM

Do you have any ideas what I can do? Thanks in before and have a nice weekend. With best regards

Willi K.

• Changed type Willi K Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:20 PM Discussion escalted to a question - solution found
    • Edited by Willi K Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:37 PM
    Saturday, August 13, 2016 12:03 PM

Answers

• Finally I succeeded in "migrating" my existing "XP Mode VMs" - Wolfgang Unger (MVP) provided a solution that results in that what I wanted (using VirtualBox instead of Hyper-V):

• No need to re-install the entire system
    • Keep the activation status

For all who are interested, here is the complete procedure:

Prerequisite:

• Install Virtual Box V4.0 (I used latest V4.0.36).
      Note: This solultion will not work with VirtualBox 5.x (or higher?).
    1. Run the "XP Mode" VM in Windows 7
    2. Uninstall the Virtual PC Integration Features
    3. Shut down the VM
    4. If the VHD is of differential type, migrate it with the base VHD
      This can be done in the VM storage settings by using the "Change" button
    5. Move (or better: copy, so you'll have a fallbasck in case of problems) the VHD
    6. In VritualBox: Create a VM of your choice, using the VHD you prepared before
    7. This is the most significant part (the hint from Wolfgang Unger)
      Follow the instructions on this page.
      Note: This is why you need to use VirtualBox V4.0 - in VirtualBox V5.x the VM will not start any when using the plug-in.

Your VM should now run in VirtualBox as well as it did before in Windows 7s XP Mode. I had some troubles in the beginnings, it seemed that the value set in step 7 becomes lost. In this case, look for the .vbox file of your VM and ensure that following exists:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/BiosRom" value="full_qualified_path_to_pcbios.bin"/>
    Best regards,
    Willi K.

• Marked as answer by Willi K Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:20 PM
    • Edited by Willi K Monday, September 12, 2016 7:13 AM Added not that this requiers VirtualBox V4.0
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:18 PM

All replies

• I have been using VirtualBox for my VMs so not to get caught with this upgrade issue. VMWare could also have been used.

Do you have an MSDN subscription? If you do, you could recreate Windows XP VM.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Saturday, August 13, 2016 4:52 PM
  • We had MSDN subscription, but we didn't extended it any more since we had no more need for that (till yet?). What did you mean by "recreate"? Do you meant I have to reinstall all the suff anyhow?
    Friday, August 19, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Recreate - meaning recreate the XPe build environment in a Windows XP VM.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, August 19, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Finally I succeeded in "migrating" my existing "XP Mode VMs" - Wolfgang Unger (MVP) provided a solution that results in that what I wanted (using VirtualBox instead of Hyper-V):

• No need to re-install the entire system
    • Keep the activation status

For all who are interested, here is the complete procedure:

Prerequisite:

• Install Virtual Box V4.0 (I used latest V4.0.36).
      Note: This solultion will not work with VirtualBox 5.x (or higher?).
    1. Run the "XP Mode" VM in Windows 7
    2. Uninstall the Virtual PC Integration Features
    3. Shut down the VM
    4. If the VHD is of differential type, migrate it with the base VHD
      This can be done in the VM storage settings by using the "Change" button
    5. Move (or better: copy, so you'll have a fallbasck in case of problems) the VHD
    6. In VritualBox: Create a VM of your choice, using the VHD you prepared before
    7. This is the most significant part (the hint from Wolfgang Unger)
      Follow the instructions on this page.
      Note: This is why you need to use VirtualBox V4.0 - in VirtualBox V5.x the VM will not start any when using the plug-in.

Your VM should now run in VirtualBox as well as it did before in Windows 7s XP Mode. I had some troubles in the beginnings, it seemed that the value set in step 7 becomes lost. In this case, look for the .vbox file of your VM and ensure that following exists:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/BiosRom" value="full_qualified_path_to_pcbios.bin"/>
    Best regards,
    Willi K.

• Marked as answer by Willi K Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:20 PM
    • Edited by Willi K Monday, September 12, 2016 7:13 AM Added not that this requiers VirtualBox V4.0
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:18 PM