SQL Database backup failures on azure vm RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Recently ,I came across an issue with database backups which has been going directly to blob storage from Azure VM. Incase backups are running through maintenance job and it's getting failed with below error message.

Error :A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "https://storageaccountname.blob.core.windows.net/containername/backup.bak" Backup to URL received an exception from the remote endpoint. Exception Message: Unrecoverable error occurred during Flush operation. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3271)  BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013)

if run the backup script from query windows to take the database backups and it successfully completed.

I googled with error message and found much. 

Please let me know if anyone have idea about the error.

mastanvali shaik

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:32 AM

Answers

• Hi mastanvali shaik,

What version of SQL Server are you using?

To avoid this issue due to unsupported options or limitations, please review the list of limitations for SQL Server Backup to Microsoft Azure Blob storage service:

See:  SQL Server Backup to URL

Then I would suggest you to set trace flag 3051 to turn on logging to a specific error log with the following format in:

BackupToUrl-\<instname>-\<dbname>-action-\<PID>.log

I guess this issue may be caused by the timeout when you backup a large database to Azure Blob storage.

Try to install the latest CU of your SQL Server version.

FIX: Timeout when you back up a large database to URL in SQL Server 2014 or 2016

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Pirlo Zhang Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Olaf HelperMVP Saturday, April 14, 2018 6:43 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:11 AM