The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Cannot access Azure without VPN RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having trouble accessing my VM (hosted in East Asia, HK) after obtaining a new public IP address. I'm in mainland China (and thus behind the Great Firewall - not sure if this is relevant). I was able to RDP to it fine previously. But after getting the new public IP, there have been connection problems.

I still receive the prompt asking me if I want to connect given the invalid certificate. I say YES. And then RDP gives me the 0x204 error.

However, if I first use a HK VPN and then try to RDP to my VM it connects fine.

I have already tried obtaining a new IP address from my home ISP provider (in case Azure was blacklisting my IP for some reason). But this didn't help.

So my question is: is there any reason to think that Azure is preventing all IPs originating from China to connect o my VM? And if so, how can I stop this? As I said, I was able to use it fine previously

Saturday, November 16, 2019 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please check if your windows firewall is blocking the rdp connection ? please verify on both source and destination vm. Also check if your new IP address is allowed on the Azure vm nsg rules.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:56 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" on the answer that helped you for benefit of community.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:42 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

Thanks.
    Friday, November 29, 2019 10:06 AM