Off-line client for SharePoint 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

A my customer has asked to me about the existence of an off-line client for SharePoint 2010. Does it exists?

By analogy, for the Microsoft CRM solution does it exist a such client.

Thanks

Friday, November 19, 2010 6:35 PM

Answers

• I think you are looking at SharePoint Workspace 2010.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee649102.aspx

"By using SharePoint Workspace 2010, information workers can easily synchronize online and offline content with a designated SharePoint site or collaborate with external partners and offsite team members through shared workspaces. SharePoint Workspace 2010 is included with Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010."

"SharePoint workspaces — Provide direct bi-directional synchronization of library and list content between a SharePoint site and a workspace on an individual client computer. Creation of a SharePoint workspace enables individual SharePoint users to check out and check in SharePoint library documents from their local computers, bring SharePoint documents and lists to their computers where they can work online or offline, and synchronize local content with a SharePoint site. When an individual client establishes a connection with a SharePoint server, synchronization occurs at regular intervals when the client is online. When a client cannot connect to a SharePoint site, the user can easily take work offline to make updates. The updated documents are automatically synchronized with SharePoint document libraries and lists when the user reconnects. This interface offers an efficient and satisfying alternative to browser access of SharePoint. Unlike other workspace types, the SharePoint workspace is a personal synchronized copy of a SharePoint site."

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Michael Mei
    • Proposed as answer by Mario Leblond Friday, November 19, 2010 9:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:07 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 6:55 PM
  • I'm afraid not.  Only SharePoint 2010 is supported.
    Corey Roth blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    Monday, November 22, 2010 2:53 PM

All replies

• I think you are looking at SharePoint Workspace 2010.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee649102.aspx

"By using SharePoint Workspace 2010, information workers can easily synchronize online and offline content with a designated SharePoint site or collaborate with external partners and offsite team members through shared workspaces. SharePoint Workspace 2010 is included with Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010."

"SharePoint workspaces — Provide direct bi-directional synchronization of library and list content between a SharePoint site and a workspace on an individual client computer. Creation of a SharePoint workspace enables individual SharePoint users to check out and check in SharePoint library documents from their local computers, bring SharePoint documents and lists to their computers where they can work online or offline, and synchronize local content with a SharePoint site. When an individual client establishes a connection with a SharePoint server, synchronization occurs at regular intervals when the client is online. When a client cannot connect to a SharePoint site, the user can easily take work offline to make updates. The updated documents are automatically synchronized with SharePoint document libraries and lists when the user reconnects. This interface offers an efficient and satisfying alternative to browser access of SharePoint. Unlike other workspace types, the SharePoint workspace is a personal synchronized copy of a SharePoint site."

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Michael Mei
    • Proposed as answer by Mario Leblond Friday, November 19, 2010 9:14 PM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 6:55 PM
  • Hi.

Could this solution be used to synchronize with a MOSS 2007 site?

Thanks

Monday, November 22, 2010 8:48 AM
  • I'm afraid not.  Only SharePoint 2010 is supported.
    Corey Roth blog: www.dotnetmafia.com twitter: @coreyroth
    Monday, November 22, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Hi Pscorca,

Groove 2007 provided some MOSS 2007 synchronization capabilities.  Keep in mind they were limited and no where near the capabilities of SharePoint 2010 Workspaces.  Furthermore, InfoPath 2007 also provided some offline synchronization capabilities both out of the box or through custom code.  Additionally, 3rd party tools such as http://www.colligo.com/products/sharepoint/contributor_pro.asp provide off line synchronization with MOSS 2007.

Dennis Bottjer | Follow Me: @dbottjer | Blog: Dennis Bottjer.com
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:27 PM