Can't sign in using Windows Live ID password

Question

• at strt up i added a password but when i tried signing in it say wrong password to which i have the pass word on a stickey note stuck to the moniter is there a problem with the window 8 an oh yeah im using my window live id can someone help me please i cant get into my computer without that pass word

Monday, October 17, 2011 10:41 AM

Answers

• tried ur imfo it didnt work is there any other thing i can try please help

• Marked as answer by ikidunot Friday, December 16, 2011 11:43 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 6:16 PM
  • help with this problem but it didnt work well the problem is i cant seem to sign in to windows 8 using my live id it keep saying im typing the wrong pass word but im 100% sure im using the right password cause i put it on a stickey note an stuck it on my monitor so if there anyone out there that can give me some imfo on what i can do it will be a great help
    Monday, October 17, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Hey Ikidunot,

Since your user account is connected to a Windows Live account, try changing your Windows Live password for that account using the steps provided in the link below:
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-messenger-change-password-faq (Page specifies Windows Live Messenger, but the password change steps are the same to change your Windows Live account's password)

Once you have changed your accounts password, you need to ensure that the computer that is booting Windows Developer Preview has an Internet connection. The best case for this would be to connect your computer directly to a network that provides Internet access (through a wired connection to a router for example).

Then try to log into your connected user account with the new password that you changed your Windows Live account to use through the link provided above (not the password that you wrote on the sticky note).

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:15 AM
  • Can you get into Safe Mode with your user account and password?
    Press AND HOLD Shift+F8 during boot. Then see if you can logon.

You might want to look at the following thread for help with the 0x000021a.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/0318cfb2-33d7-43c0-9916-737efad4fe61

Marilyn
    • Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Friday, December 16, 2011 1:48 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:58 PM

All replies

• Try type your password by turn off and turn on CAPS lock.

Try type upper and lower case.

Monday, October 17, 2011 12:05 PM
  • tried ur imfo it didnt work is there any other thing i can try please help

Monday, October 17, 2011 6:16 PM
  • help with this problem but it didnt work well the problem is i cant seem to sign in to windows 8 using my live id it keep saying im typing the wrong pass word but im 100% sure im using the right password cause i put it on a stickey note an stuck it on my monitor so if there anyone out there that can give me some imfo on what i can do it will be a great help
    Monday, October 17, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Since it is issue with Windows Live ID, then you could try:

http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=bf5d34bf-db28-44ca-ac9a-93838d81b2d6

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:51 AM
  • dang tried that still nothing guess im gonna have to have my computer clean an start all ova again if u still have suggestion ill try the m hjelp is great appreciated
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Hello ikidunot,

Are you trying to sign in with a Windows Live ID account? If that is not successful, try signing in with a Local Account if you created one.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Please go to the Control Panel, select Users, try changing or removing your password, once the process is complete, try signing in again with the new or without a password [ in case you have removed your password]. If you can't even log into the Windows so that the Start Screen is not visible, in that case you may have to install the WDP again.
    Irfan
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:27 PM
  • cant even get pass the sign in screen it keep saying user name r password incorrect
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:17 PM
  • tried that still no go im thinking im gonna have to reinstall that aagain if it can be done
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:17 PM
  • cant get pass the sign n screen even tried to see if i could get it to go to safe mode without sucess im now at witz end need help bad
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Please note that if you created your Windows Live ID (or Hotmail account back then) several years ago (like I did), you could use very long password those days. Currently it is impossible to create a new account with a password longer than 16 characters. That is the password limit now is 16 characters.

To know what the current password limit is, just try creating a new account (no need to finish creating it, you just want to check allowed password length).

However, there is a nice defect in MSFT products (what a!): some applications allow signing in with 16+ character password, when some do not! Say, you can log in into your Windows Live account from mail.live.com using your 17-character-long password. And you will get the 'password incorrect' message attempting to login into the SAME account using your password with Zune (or other applications; Yes, the Windows Feedback Tool is known to be affected too!)

The workaround is very simple (personally I thinks it more looks like a very small but breach): just type in the first 16 characters of your password when you get password incorrect message!

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

• Edited by Exotic Hadron Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:41 AM
    • Proposed as answer by briane26 Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:39 AM
  • thank but with this window 8 what i did i added a password to get into the system from start up but now it keep saying the password is incorrect but that not true cause as i said earlier i put my password on a sticky note a attached it to my monitor so i no im not entering the wrong password if i could get pass that screen i could change thing around but it has me locked out ......i used my live id cause when u do a clean with this window 8 it ask u o use ur window live id an that what i did but for some unearthly reason i can seem to get that pass word to work so i went to hat window live id changed the password with no result still coming up pass word inccorect is there any way to by pass that pass word screen if so im open to all advise
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:06 PM
  • oh an my pass word is only 9 characters long numbers an letter dang just wish i hadnt put that pass word on there now oh well life a b---h then u die
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:09 PM
  • You mean, you've enabled the AutoLogon feature using your WLID? Did I get it right?
    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:24 PM
  • i wouldnt call it auto sign in cause i have to put in the pass word an then again yes u can call it that well that the problem im having is there anything i can do to get this pass word off here if so or if u know of anything else that will remove that pass word thingy please help
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Hey Ikidunot,

Since your user account is connected to a Windows Live account, try changing your Windows Live password for that account using the steps provided in the link below:
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-messenger-change-password-faq (Page specifies Windows Live Messenger, but the password change steps are the same to change your Windows Live account's password)

Once you have changed your accounts password, you need to ensure that the computer that is booting Windows Developer Preview has an Internet connection. The best case for this would be to connect your computer directly to a network that provides Internet access (through a wired connection to a router for example).

Then try to log into your connected user account with the new password that you changed your Windows Live account to use through the link provided above (not the password that you wrote on the sticky note).

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:15 AM
  • thank steven tried that change password thing an it still sayng the same thing ..gotta another question can this be removed an i start over say having my computer clean an reinstalling that dev thing can that be done
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:15 PM
  • when i say clean i mean wiped of every

thing

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:16 PM
  • Hey Ikidunot,

You could try booting from the installation media (DVD or USB) that you used to install Windows Developer Preview to install it again. During the installation process you should see the option to choose which partition you want to install on.

Note: A clean install, the deletion of a partition and recreation of a partition during the install process, will remove all data from that partition.

Steven
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:13 PM
  • ok ill try that booting from cd dvd
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:42 AM
  • tried that dvd thing an it coming up with the same thing but with a new problem it gave me a code like 0x000021a
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Can you get into Safe Mode with your user account and password?
    Press AND HOLD Shift+F8 during boot. Then see if you can logon.

You might want to look at the following thread for help with the 0x000021a.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/0318cfb2-33d7-43c0-9916-737efad4fe61

Marilyn
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:58 PM
  • no tried to get it to go into safe mode but it would not an i tried ur recomendation with no success so it look like im gonna have to do a clean job to get it bac online  thank for the help
    Friday, October 28, 2011 9:02 PM