none
vs 2005 pro /std edition

Question

• I have the std edition installed. I wanted the pro version & bought unopened box. bos says "academic" what appens if I install. wi
    Saturday, April 08, 2017 2:41 PM

Answers

• The freeware community edition 2017

https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/

Success
    Cor

Saturday, April 08, 2017 2:44 PM
  • Most likely nothing other than VS2005 getting installed, though if there is a registration process it may fail.  From a license standpoint, as long as you have a sales receipt for your purchase and a valid student ID covering the same timeframe, you are fine.  I believe that the majority of the onus for verifying license eligibility falls upon the retailer, but I believe that you as the end user could still be audited and would need to provide proof of your student status at the time of purchase (though it's probably highly unlikely for an individual to face an audit over software more than a decade old; a business on the other hand could trigger an audit for other reasons and this could be another actionable item on the fine list).

Unless you have to have the 2005 version for some compatibility reason with 3rd party tools, I would highly suggest using VS2015 or VS2017 for any new development.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Saturday, April 08, 2017 7:18 PM

All replies

• The freeware community edition 2017

https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/

Success
    Cor

Saturday, April 08, 2017 2:44 PM
  • Most likely nothing other than VS2005 getting installed, though if there is a registration process it may fail.  From a license standpoint, as long as you have a sales receipt for your purchase and a valid student ID covering the same timeframe, you are fine.  I believe that the majority of the onus for verifying license eligibility falls upon the retailer, but I believe that you as the end user could still be audited and would need to provide proof of your student status at the time of purchase (though it's probably highly unlikely for an individual to face an audit over software more than a decade old; a business on the other hand could trigger an audit for other reasons and this could be another actionable item on the fine list).

Unless you have to have the 2005 version for some compatibility reason with 3rd party tools, I would highly suggest using VS2015 or VS2017 for any new development.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Saturday, April 08, 2017 7:18 PM
  • Hi lakedog45,

Please remember to close your thread by marking helpful post as answer, it is very beneficial to the other communities who face the same issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Cherry Bu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 14, 2017 8:42 AM