Lightswitch Server pre-requisites missing in Web Application installer 5.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I just tried my first lightawitch HTML application and wanted to publish it on my machine or server. The instructions in the link below indicate that I need to install a runtime on the machine/server.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg481779(v=vs.120).aspx

However, when I download the Web Application Installer and run it, there is no item named "LightSwitch in Visual Studio 2013 - Server Configuration with local SQL" as indicated in the instructions. 

Is there another item I need to install instead? 

Sunday, February 14, 2016 12:13 AM

All replies

• Use an earlier web platform installer. LS is missing in 5.0

Sven Elm

Sunday, February 14, 2016 7:17 AM
  • Everything I download, even those that say 4.5 seem to open up the 5.0 version. 

I found a workaround listed here but I'm concerned whether I should even be using Lightswitch or not.

Is Microsoft retiring LightSwitch or something? 

Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:19 PM
  • It will be around for atleast 4-5 years

Sven Elm

Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:30 PM
  • Hmm... Good to know. What explains omitting the Server configuration stuff though from the latest installer with no official workaround or response as well? 
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:48 PM
  • Yeah,

The SL version will die after 2020-2021

The HTML can live on for another 5 years I guess.

We await some answers from MS.

Sven Elm

Monday, February 15, 2016 11:52 AM
  • Hi Robert,

I too was facing a similar issue and did some googling, only to end up here.

Fortunately, I have found a way to fix the problem. Since Web Platform Installer is just a package manager, using XML feeds instead of Repos, in theory you would be able to redirect to an older version of the repo. 

THis answer was posted elsewhere and it works....

I found an old xml version, 4.6 here which has lightswitch. https://www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/4.6/webproductlist.xml You'll need to download this XML file onto your IIS server (you can just copy and paste the whole thing into notepad, and save it as a .xml file). Then, go into "Options" in web platform installer, and click the "..." next to "Default Feed". Select the XML file you just saved/created.

Once you save this screen, it will ask you to update Web Platform Installer. Say "No" here and continue on. A new feed of tools should load up, giving you access to past Lightswitch packages. 

While this is a fix for the issue at hand, I am curious as to why Lightswitch packages were removed from the latest feed. 

Friday, June 3, 2016 11:01 AM
  • If you haven't already, it would be worth adding your vote to the following Microsoft Connect issue covering this problem:

Can't install LightSwitch Server Runtime using WPI in Visual Studio 2015

Saturday, June 4, 2016 12:34 PM
  • Does any one have any more information on this?

I have a situation where the server that I was hosting my LightSwitch 3 tier Silverlight application was on died. I have the source code for the application and the databases. I have restored everything and redeployed the application but it just opens with a blank screen.

Using the web platform install for 4.6 no longer works because the url for the xml file no longer is good.

https://www.microsoft.com/web/webpi/4.6/webproductlist.xml

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave Barker

Dave Barker

Monday, April 16, 2018 9:13 PM