How to auto-populate data based on column choice. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All, hope everyone is well;

I am trying to create/modify a list in SharePoint. The purpose of this list is to make everyone's life easier (except for maybe mine while trying to create). My end goal is to be able to select an option from a choice field, and when that choice is made, something auto-populates a few lines of text (preferably on the same list item). Is this even possible ?

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 3:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

this is possible with InfoPath form.

steps : 1- Edit list form in InfoPath

2- Use DropDown control and bind that either with fixed values or/ populate it with other list

3- now , keep the drop down selected -> see properties -> rules ->and can update any field on same list item.

this is in brief, if you needed more, let me know

Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:27 PM
  • Thank you for this starting information. It has helped so far (at least i think). I bound the list column in Infopath to that of another list within the same site (which is where i want it to pull the info from). Essentially, i have a list. On that list there is a choice column (job title in this case). When a user selects from that drop-down, i want it to return (from the info on another list that describes each job title), the job title info, which has been pre-populated. That list, has 2 columns; Job Title and Job Title Access. On my original list, when a selection is made, i would like it auto-populate a new column the info it goes out and retrieves. Hopefully this makes sense. If pictures are needed, i can provide.
    Monday, April 23, 2018 2:25 PM
  • Hi peanutbrook,
    yes provide me the screen shots , as it sounds doable.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:12 AM